Théo and the chickens des Sauches

But Théo finally succeeded in convincing her to lay in the coop.
that's an adorable photo to illustrate the point :love

It reminded me that a few weeks back Tintern (the equal youngest and lowest ranking male here) stood next to Quenell and shouted at her while she was laying in her regular spot (used throughout last year) in the SW corner of a raised bed. She squawked her annoyance in reply, and this went on for 3 days. Since then, she has been laying in a coop :D So the roos here appear to have progressed from suggesting totally unsuitable places to dissuading hens from laying off base :p

An old posts I actually forgot to post online. 😂

The video of Merle and the kale shows what a hen can do when she's determined! Sometimes Katie does that too :)
My chickens and most of all Black and Janice jump for grapes and blueberries, but I never saw a chicken jump for veggies.
I loved the video of Merle. True dedication to the cause (of eating kale)!
🥬 Ditto

Only the hay that was baled is ok. So the chickens don't get as thick a layer of hay as usual. Luckily since it hasn't been cold at all, they only stay in the coop when it rains a lot.
I only use fresh hay in the nest-boxes. The old hay gets a second life and goes under the roosts.
On the coop floor is sand, which is perfect imho, as long as it’s not freezing during the day. Then I add some straw on the foor. Maybe you can think of something to benefit from the old hay too?

& nice to hear about Pied-beaux once in while, how he has become a great rooster for his flock.

Last edited:
I think I posted here a while back that later in the year I have to take a long trip and I am nervous about the animals.
I am particularly nervous about one cat who dislikes strangers so much that she will never be seen by the lady who will come to feed her.
So this week, on a much shorter trip, I am trying out having a doorbell inside to observe cats coming and going.
I think it is fair to say that Nightshade (who is not the cat I am worried about) knows it is there. I think that means it may not work as it will be viewed as a stranger in the house.
Hmmm.
IMG_5252.jpeg

Hello chicken friends ! Just wanted to let you know that we have been without internet and mobile phone access for ten days now, since a big snow storm, which is why this thread is on pause. I need to walk up 20 mn in the mountain to catch the ski resort phone signal, which I do daily, but it's not sufficient to post pictures.

It's looking like this may last for much longer than we hoped initially so not sure when I will be able to post regularly again. We've been having quite a bit of chicken drama so I do hope to be able to update soon !

Hello chicken friends ! Just wanted to let you know that we have been without internet and mobile phone access for ten days now, since a big snow storm, which is why this thread is on pause. I need to walk up 20 mn in the mountain to catch the ski resort phone signal, which I do daily, but it's not sufficient to post pictures.

It's looking like this may last for much longer than we hoped initially so not sure when I will be able to post regularly again. We've been having quite a bit of chicken drama so I do hope to be able to update soon !
Hopefully they will get it fixed soon.

Back
Top Bottom