Théo and the chickens des Sauches

You're so kind !
Cannelle is still the same. She is unconscious almost all day but the few seconds she wakes up seem to be painful. We think if she doesn't pass today, we may euthanize her tonight, but it's hard to know if it's the right thing to do.
Much love to you and your partner, it's a tough decision. Is there someone living nearby who could do it for you?

Sorry to hear Cannelle past. :hugs:hugs
She had a wonderful life with you for as long as possible.

A late reaction because I wasn’t updated on this thread last weekend/yesterday. But all followers expressed perfectly what I would have wanted to say ❣️.

And thanks Perris for the article on mycoplasma. Learnt something new again. It also shows how important it can be to quarantine new chickens who you want to add to your present life stock. But to quarantine for a long period is not easy and an important reason why I like to add hatchery eggs instead of buying chicks or pullets.

Thank you 🙏. I feel like a complete idiot being so sad ; it seems all the chickens and my partner had already known and accepted Cannelle would be dead today.

Long remembrance post.
I know she had a good life in some ways. Though it was the longest of my ex-batt's now, four year and a almost half, it was too short. I feel an ugly jealousy when I read posts on BYC about chickens still doing well at nine or ten. I think also that it was difficult for my ex-batts to adapt to all the new chickens we brought and hatched, especially the roosters, and that their life was happiest the first two years on their own. Though Cannelle did relatively good compared to the others.

We are not meant to have favourites, or at least to make a difference in the way we treat the chickens, but I think amongst the ex-batts she may have been the one I preferred. Although she was certainly not close to us ! Here is what I can share about her

We called her Cannelle la vilaine, naughty Cannelle, because she was a bit wild when she was young. This last months, it had turned into Cannellou de la Vilainie, Cannellou of Naughtygham, because it sounded more fun and aristocratic.
She earned this nickname as a pullet when she started laying and she had decided to lay in the irises above the wall that borders the chicken yard. It took us a bit of time to see how she did this. She went on the perch that's next to the cherry tree, took some momentum, and went for a flight almost six meters long and two meters high. And she was clever enough to wait for a moment when we were out of sight to do this.
At the time we knew nothing about chickens and we had no better idea than to lock her up in the coop when it was time to lay. She went crazy for a few days, but she never laid outside the coop again. I'm sorry retrospectively we squeezed out of her what seemed like a move toward a more natural behaviour just a few months after being let out of the battery. It was in line with her behaviour - usually discreet, but a free soul who did what she wanted and did not want much to do with humans. She did love pecking pants for hours though.

There was no clear pecking order between the ex-batts but I would say she yielded only to Vanille. She was rather benevolent with the newcomers and just wanted to be left to her own devices - she would peck if they came too close, but she never harassed them.

When Vanille died in July 2022, the three next mornings Cannelle screamed for hours, breaking her voice. She made a sound much like what is often called the egg sound, but with a roll, like a Scottish or a Bavarian R. The only other chicken I've heard making that sound is Gaston on a few occasions. I'm not sure what it is - something is wrong ? something has changed ?

A fond memory I have is last winter (2022-2023) when Gaston was still a cockerel, terrified of Théo, and beginning to try to discreetly mate the ex-batts for the first times. It had snowed and Cannelle was the only hen who ventured out in the narrow path we had shovelled for them. Gaston was at the other end, and started charging her all wings spread, looking rather impressive. She stood her ground, and when he got to her, side stepped right in the snow. Gaston didn't know snow so he tried to jump on her and found himself stuck in about 50 cm of it. I had to get him out and since then, he thoroughly despises it ! Cannelle calmly made her way back to the coop and Théo, who was still dominant rooster then.

During the last year her behaviour changed. She had laying issues, spent a lot of time in nests without laying, and when she did lay from January to May her eggs were flattened on one side. She was very ill this summer. But during her illness she also spent a lot of time with us. We let her out of the chicken yard so she could share lunch with us, and forage with Piou-piou, and enjoy true free ranging for the first time in her life . She followed Piou-piou everywhere. This lasted for maybe four weeks ; then she got better, started molting, and began to stay hiding under the laurel tree or the coop a lot.

She became more mean, which I suppose was due to her poor health. Somehow Chipie had decided to challenge her, even though Cannelle was the only ex-batt who more or less accepted her. At first, Cannelle had just ignored her, but after a while she turned on her and they had a few fights, with no serious damage though.

Like all my ex-batts, she had good and bad days, and when she was on a good day it seemed everything was wonderful. She was so independent. It was only when she became really sick that I was able to hold her for more than a few seconds, and she still hated it. And I also found her beautiful, those red hybrid layers may not be prized like heritage breeds but they will remain my model of chicken beauty.

We buried her in the hole we dug for Blanche months ago. Blanche and her have been closely following each other with their health issues. Yesterday morning, Blanche made a mourning sound when she realised Cannelle was staying in the crate again and I think she knew then. I am getting ready that she will follow Cannelle soon.

A lot of pictures. I don't have many from when she was younger because I didn't take a lot of pictures then and she was never standing still a'd difficult to get close to.

First times out of the coop. 23 February 2020, not laying yet.
IMG_20200223_161237.jpg

Cannelle on the left, Blanche on the right.
IMG_20200303_150235.jpg

First and only real brawl with Brune.
IMG_20200605_125538.jpg

IMG_20210314_103910.jpg
original_84a7c74c-9236-47e8-b65e-31e36132c543_IMG_20210406_120048.jpg

Left to right : Blanche, Brune, Caramel, Cannelle.
IMG_20210417_142306.jpg

Curious.
IMG_20210419_085227.jpg

Laying with Blanche.
IMG_20220124_112805.jpg
IMG_20220421_095143.jpg
IMG_20220421_113913~2.jpg
IMG_20230828_131042.jpg
IMG_20230906_100230.jpg
IMG_20230912_181018.jpg
IMG_20230915_143503.jpg

September, Chipie looking for trouble.
IMG_20230917_151801.jpg
IMG_20230917_151736.jpg
IMG_20230925_160126.jpg
IMG_20231005_080328.jpg

The ex-batt's spent a lot of time pecking pants.
IMG_20231011_173519.jpg

Left to right : Nougat, Cannelle, Blanche.
IMG_20231013_081554.jpg

Front right to back left : Cannelle, Nougat, Blanche
IMG_20231018_161749.jpg
IMG_20231020_164807.jpg

Molting.
IMG_20231118_184619.jpg
IMG_20231215_152334.jpg

A month ago.
IMG_20240123_123843.jpg

Beginning of February, when she was still up to it we let her out to forage in the garden for one or two hours.
IMG_20240202_160830.jpg

Dead Cannelle. Salut la vilaine !
IMG_20240227_082813.jpg

Thank you 🙏. I feel like a complete idiot being so sad ; it seems all the chickens and my partner had already known and accepted Cannelle would be dead today.

Long remembrance post.
I know she had a good life in some ways. Though it was the longest of my ex-batt's now, four year and a almost half, it was too short. I feel an ugly jealousy when I read posts on BYC about chickens still doing well at nine or ten. I think also that it was difficult for my ex-batts to adapt to all the new chickens we brought and hatched, especially the roosters, and that their life was happiest the first two years on their own. Though Cannelle did relatively good compared to the others.

We are not meant to have favourites, or at least to make a difference in the way we treat the chickens, but I think amongst the ex-batts she may have been the one I preferred. Although she was certainly not close to us ! Here is what I can share about her

We called her Cannelle la vilaine, naughty Cannelle, because she was a bit wild when she was young. This last months, it had turned into Cannellou de la Vilainie, Cannellou of Naughtygham, because it sounded more fun and aristocratic.
She earned this nickname as a pullet when she started laying and she had decided to lay in the irises above the wall that borders the chicken yard. It took us a bit of time to see how she did this. She went on the perch that's next to the cherry tree, took some momentum, and went for a flight almost six meters long and two meters high. And she was clever enough to wait for a moment when we were out of sight to do this.
At the time we knew nothing about chickens and we had no better idea than to lock her up in the coop when it was time to lay. She went crazy for a few days, but she never laid outside the coop again. I'm sorry retrospectively we squeezed out of her what seemed like a move toward a more natural behaviour just a few months after being let out of the battery. It was in line with her behaviour - usually discreet, but a free soul who did what she wanted and did not want much to do with humans. She did love pecking pants for hours though.

There was no clear pecking order between the ex-batts but I would say she yielded only to Vanille. She was rather benevolent with the newcomers and just wanted to be left to her own devices - she would peck if they came too close, but she never harassed them.

When Vanille died in July 2022, the three next mornings Cannelle screamed for hours, breaking her voice. She made a sound much like what is often called the egg sound, but with a roll, like a Scottish or a Bavarian R. The only other chicken I've heard making that sound is Gaston on a few occasions. I'm not sure what it is - something is wrong ? something has changed ?

A fond memory I have is last winter (2022-2023) when Gaston was still a cockerel, terrified of Théo, and beginning to try to discreetly mate the ex-batts for the first times. It had snowed and Cannelle was the only hen who ventured out in the narrow path we had shovelled for them. Gaston was at the other end, and started charging her all wings spread, looking rather impressive. She stood her ground, and when he got to her, side stepped right in the snow. Gaston didn't know snow so he tried to jump on her and found himself stuck in about 50 cm of it. I had to get him out and since then, he thoroughly despises it ! Cannelle calmly made her way back to the coop and Théo, who was still dominant rooster then.

During the last year her behaviour changed. She had laying issues, spent a lot of time in nests without laying, and when she did lay from January to May her eggs were flattened on one side. She was very ill this summer. But during her illness she also spent a lot of time with us. We let her out of the chicken yard so she could share lunch with us, and forage with Piou-piou, and enjoy true free ranging for the first time in her life . She followed Piou-piou everywhere. This lasted for maybe four weeks ; then she got better, started molting, and began to stay hiding under the laurel tree or the coop a lot.

She became more mean, which I suppose was due to her poor health. Somehow Chipie had decided to challenge her, even though Cannelle was the only ex-batt who more or less accepted her. At first, Cannelle had just ignored her, but after a while she turned on her and they had a few fights, with no serious damage though.

Like all my ex-batts, she had good and bad days, and when she was on a good day it seemed everything was wonderful. She was so independent. It was only when she became really sick that I was able to hold her for more than a few seconds, and she still hated it. And I also found her beautiful, those red hybrid layers may not be prized like heritage breeds but they will remain my model of chicken beauty.

We buried her in the hole we dug for Blanche months ago. Blanche and her have been closely following each other with their health issues. Yesterday morning, Blanche made a mourning sound when she realised Cannelle was staying in the crate again and I think she knew then. I am getting ready that she will follow Cannelle soon.

A lot of pictures. I don't have many from when she was younger because I didn't take a lot of pictures then and she was never standing still a'd difficult to get close to.

View attachment 3758608
View attachment 3758609
View attachment 3758610
View attachment 3758611View attachment 3758612
View attachment 3758614
Curious.
View attachment 3758616
Laying with Blanche.
View attachment 3758617View attachment 3758618View attachment 3758619View attachment 3758626View attachment 3758627View attachment 3758628View attachment 3758629
View attachment 3758632View attachment 3758633View attachment 3758635View attachment 3758636
View attachment 3758637
View attachment 3758638
View attachment 3758639View attachment 3758640
Molting.
View attachment 3758641View attachment 3758642
A month ago.
View attachment 3758643
Beginning of February, when she was still up to it we let her out to forage in the garden for one or two hours.
View attachment 3758645

:hugs 😥
She had a good life with you.

Long remembrance post.

View attachment 3758608
View attachment 3758609
View attachment 3758610
View attachment 3758611View attachment 3758612
View attachment 3758614
Curious.
View attachment 3758616
Laying with Blanche.
View attachment 3758617View attachment 3758618View attachment 3758619View attachment 3758626View attachment 3758627View attachment 3758628View attachment 3758629
View attachment 3758632View attachment 3758633View attachment 3758635View attachment 3758636
View attachment 3758637
View attachment 3758638
View attachment 3758639View attachment 3758640
Molting.
View attachment 3758641View attachment 3758642
A month ago.
View attachment 3758643
View attachment 3758645

That's a wonderful memorial Manue. What a life your chickens enjoy!

Farewell Canelle.

Back
Top Bottom