Temp at 95?

put them in the brooder at 95 for the first week and cut it down 5 degrees per week… I’m new to this and just need y’all’s advice
That's the typical thing folks quote, but it's really too hot and conservative IMO. Too much heat can increase risk of pasty butt when it's easily avoided by not overheating them. I think 90F is plenty at start with a cool zone of 70F or lower, and you can drop by more than 5F a week.
I wean 4-week-olds off heat with outdoor ambient temps in mid-40s, obviously that is much more aggressive than "5F a week."

Obviously turkey poults have different needs …wow …and 1 week old chicks have different needs than 2 … I don’t know why I even came to the internet y’all so judgy

Watch them, plain and simple. If they are huddled under the heat source, it's too cold. If they are avoiding the heat, it's too warm! Don't need a thermometer for that. Besides we all know from our "take your temperature every 2 hours" Covid days, most thermometers are not as accurate as we could hope! Size of brooder is indeed so very important. They need room to run and play as well as moderate their own temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom