EMERGENCY! PLEASE HELP!!! Pekin duck with weird feather loss

p4PaDuck

Songster
Mar 15, 2024
Hi I have a duck named gimpy. She was born with a leg deformity, but I give her daily aqua thearpy. She is around 7-71/2 months. She lays eggs daily. She's never gone through a hard molt only light ones during the fall/early spring. I was feeding them this morning and found that she has a stripe down her lower back and a patch on her under her tail/upper bottom. I thought a first "its just a hard molt right?" but the found that where the feathers were there was holes from feather that were previously there but there was nothing but blood droplets. there was a few pin feathers and grown feathers, but I have never saw blood before. If it helps I live in north texas, and it just rained yesterday, and my 5 ducks live with 7 adult hens and 5 chicken chicks. I haven't noticed any feather picking. Yet. The younger trio of ducks used to stuff their bill into gimpy's back of neck, but I corrected the behavior. She sleeps in a duck coop with ducks only. Please help my duck. She's so sweet and a family favorite. Also any advice on how to help her? treat her?

I would keep her isolated for a bit, until feathers start to regrown. It sounds like the new feathers are being picked.

You may want to increase protein for your birds. Often, pin feather picking is due to low protein. It will also help new feathers grow in strong.

I am thinking the chickens are the culprit. Yes place her and the ducks separate from the chickens. It's pretty normal for chickens to do this especially when they see one as not being normal like walking with a limp etc. At least separating and seeing her feathers growing back in without being pulled out will let you know if this is the problem. You definitely don't want chickens seeing blood on her.

I am thinking the chickens are the culprit. Yes place her and the ducks separate from the chickens. It's pretty normal for chickens to do this especially when they see one as not being normal like walking with a limp etc. At least separating and seeing her feathers growing back in without being pulled out will let you know if this is the problem. You definitely don't want chickens seeing blood on her.
Yes chickens are quite the trouble makers when they see blood... Thank you! May god bless you all!

Back
Top Bottom