sticky brown goo sweating from an egg with awful smell why?!

mrsbeckett

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
hey we have never seen this before and wondered if anyone knew why it happens. its half way through our incubating time and our chicken eggs seem to be growing well (if my candling is up to scratch lol) but we had a bad smell for a few days getting worse and worse, it was so awful this morning it was stinking the whole house out so i checked each egg and the culprit was oozing sticky brown goo, when candled a few days ago it appeared to be the same size as the others so whats happened, any ideas?

Rotten egg. We had one explode this past week under a broody hen. She dragged it out of the nest box onto the ground. It stunk to high heaven. Get it out of there and wipe off any of the other eggs if it got on there. It could explode if you leave it.

great thanks, i removed both, its happened to two now as soon as i saw it, the smelll alone told me it needed to be taken out, we've never had it happen before but now two in the new Hova Bator incubator we're using, wondering if its something to do with the batch of eggs, the incubator itself or the temp or humididty

It is caused by bacteria getting into the eggs. Did the eggs get washed before they were incubated??? It removes the waxy coating from them letting bacteria into the eggs.. and the higher the temp the faster bacteria grows... After your hatch bleach out your bator in good shape before setting any more eggs. I lost two sets of eggs before realizing I had a few grains of feed under my water dish that molded that was all it took to kill two sets of eggs the first week in the bator.

Back
Top Bottom