Squirrel tail and split tail photos

Lindzeloo

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
Hello, we are new to BYC and love it! Hoping some of you could help us out with some photos of chickens with split tail and squirrel tail? My daughters 4H leader has asked her to provide some quality photos of chickens with these defects and we are struggling to find any good pictures for demonstration! We're sure some of you folks could provide us with some pics! Thanks!!

Hello, we are new to BYC and love it! Hoping some of you could help us out with some photos of chickens with split tail and squirrel tail? My daughters 4H leader has asked her to provide some quality photos of chickens with these defects and we are struggling to find any good pictures for demonstration! We're sure some of you folks could provide us with some pics! Thanks!!
Looking for pictures of squirrel tails myself, sorry no one every responded... maybe bumping it back up with this post might get it done!

Hope your daughter found what she was looking for.

Someone just commented my roo may have a squirrel tail and I wanted to educate myself about it. Here he is... any thoughts out there?

MB

Looking for pictures of squirrel tails myself, sorry no one every responded... maybe bumping it back up with this post might get it done!

Hope your daughter found what she was looking for.

Someone just commented my roo may have a squirrel tail and I wanted to educate myself about it. Here he is... any thoughts out there?

MB

In the American Poultry Associations book, the Standard of Perfection, the first 40 pages are filled with photos and some of the best information anywhere. The book is invaluable for those pages alone, to say nothing of the pages dedicated to your own particular breed of choice.

If a breed calls for a tail that is 20 degrees above the horizontal plane of the birds back line, this would be barely a rise you would notice. If the breed's tail is stated to be 40 degrees, it has a pleasant upward rise. In many breeds, the male and female have different descriptions.

The bird shown above hold the tail almost perpendicular or 90 degree. What degree does the standard description call for regarding your breed?

Squirrel tail is when the tail angle is more than 90 degrees. In most breeds that is a DQ; however, it is part of the standard for japs. Go to feathersite.com and you should find photos of them that show the tail angle

In the American Poultry Associations book, the Standard of Perfection, the first 40 pages are filled with photos and some of the best information anywhere. The book is invaluable for those pages alone, to say nothing of the pages dedicated to your own particular breed of choice.

If a breed calls for a tail that is 20 degrees above the horizontal plane of the birds back line, this would be barely a rise you would notice. If the breed's tail is stated to be 40 degrees, it has a pleasant upward rise. In many breeds, the male and female have different descriptions.

The bird shown above hold the tail almost perpendicular or 90 degree. What degree does the standard description call for regarding your breed?
Thank you for the input Fred's Hens, I have always enjoyed reading everything you contribute.

I went to the Ameraucana SOP and also the APA book and he does indeed have way too high a tail degree. Even though his true tail carriage is a bit more relaxed than the picture I posted, it still rises higher than the recommended 45 degrees for the LF Ameraucana male.

Here is a picture from the Ameraucana Club of America's website of a LF Black male.
I can clearly see the difference!

Thanks again,
MB

Back
Top Bottom