I am so sorry to hear this. Sometimes you can find a compassionate vet & they will see an animal like this (under these circumstances) & treat it for free if they feel it is treatable or at least give you some advice. It is worth calling around & explaining your situation. What a kind heart you have. I agree with what someone said above about taking him home with you. Neglection of animals is illegal where I live. I will keep you & the rooster in my thoughts & prayers. Best of luck to you.

Oh! And his other foot looks a little suspicious as well. I'd check it for scabs while you're at it. Bumblefoot usually starts on the foot pad, so check the underside first.

And when you're doing the surgery, don't be afraid to dig around and dislodge the stubborn stuff. Yes, it hurts, but he'll die if you don't do it. So just be as gentle and thorough as possible. Leave no trace of cheese.

And I'm really sorry nobody will help you. What a bunch of babies. Even your husband won't help? It's his parents fault that this poor rooster is in this situation. If it were my husband I'd tell him to put on his big boy panties and help me.

Wrap the poor guy in a towel and drape part of it over his head. This will help keep him calm. Maybe pick up an ace bandage and wrap it around the towel to keep it closed.

I had to do a tiny bit of doctoring on one of my month old chicks foot tonight and I don't know how I would have done it if my mom wasn't there to hold him, much less an entire big rooster. I'm glad he's a good boy at least. It's ten times harder when they're really wild/a bad patient.

Thank you! My husband works over the road during the week but this weekend when hes back home I know he will help out, idk if he'd be able to dig into the chicken but he would def hold the chicken and help alot otherwise.

I called the only vet around and they dont deal with "poultry" as if chickens are only a piece of food.. My in laws suck so bad! I was brought to tears today with frustration because I just feel like no one cares about this poor thing. I knew that black was a bad color... If there is a scab on top and on bottom does that mean you have to hollow out the in between? Like will there be a giant hole when its all dug out? Surprisingly enough the chicken still gets around. He's been eating great today actually! He still walks around like nothing is wrong with a limp of course. He lays down sometimes but not for long and I am scared because he has been breathing a little faster when he's laying down. Which I know can mean sepsis. Also if anyone can let me know when I get the right penicillin dosage anyone have any suggestions on giving it to him? Im not scared of him persay but I don't want to try to pry his beak open and get pecked to death. Haha.

There may very well be a hole that you can look all the way through. You could mix a bunch of sugar into the antibiotic ointment that you pack the wound with. Sugar helps form granulation tissue to fill in the hole.

It's a good sign that he's still eating and drinking. Give him unlimited access to a balanced chicken feed and fresh clean water. You could make him some scrambled eggs for a nice warm protein treat.

Is the penicillin in tablet, pill or liquid form? I'm not really up on baby medicine. Feeding suggestions will depend on the form.
Thank you! My husband works over the road during the week but this weekend when hes back home I know he will help out, idk if he'd be able to dig into the chicken but he would def hold the chicken and help alot otherwise.
Oh, good. I'm glad he'll help when he gets home. Sorry he's not around all the time. You must miss him. :(

Last edited:
In answer to your question about leaving a big hole, yes, it probably will be but as long as it clears out the pus and read tissue that's better for him in the long run and can heal with time.

For dosing the penicillin, how much would he need if you were giving him 250mg? (Like, how many cc/ml will that end up being given the strength of what you have?) If it's just a little you can try buttering some bread and adding the dose to one or two pieces. Feed him a normal piece first, then the medicated piece. Otherwise you just pull down gently on his chin waddle and his beak will automatically open. Just dribble a little too allow him time to swallow so he doesn't aspirate it.

Do you have animal shelters there, like the aspca or humane society? I'd call the nearest ones tomorrow and they might be able to act as mediators in contacting someone who can help.

In answer to your question about leaving a big hole, yes, it probably will be but as long as it clears out the pus and read tissue that's better for him in the long run and can heal with time.

For dosing the penicillin, how much would he need if you were giving him 250mg? (Like, how many cc/ml will that end up being given the strength of what you have?) If it's just a little you can try buttering some bread and adding the dose to one or two pieces. Feed him a normal piece first, then the medicated piece. Otherwise you just pull down gently on his chin waddle and his beak will automatically open. Just dribble a little too allow him time to swallow so he doesn't aspirate it.

Do you have animal shelters there, like the aspca or humane society? I'd call the nearest ones tomorrow and they might be able to act as mediators in contacting someone who can help.
When I googled the shelters and Humane society I have one like an hr and 25 mins away... I'm really out here in the middle of no where that's one of the problems. I am gonna flush the wound over and over tomorrow before cutting anymore to see if maybe some of the black stuff could be scabbing, I really don't know that it is though because of how dark it is :( It wasn't black the day before when I did the surgery. It did bleed alittle bit while I was trying to clean it out. The way I've seen these infections handled through videos and reading. I can only imagine that if I dig out all the infection and do it thoroughly there will be a giant hole. But I will do whatt I got to do. I have very limited options. I am gonna look for a spacious cage tomorrow. The antibiotics is liquid and I am going back to my house in the morning to grab it. My oldest had strep throat last week and I only had to give her 10 days worth. I ended up having about 2 bottles left over. I believe each bottle has 50 ML in it, I'm pretty sure actually. I really think the antibiotics will help alot, Id like to start him on them tomorrow. Hes a very large and strong bird. From his behavior wise I really think he can make it and it's not too late. Hes still so active and still eating and drinking so well. But when I look at the wound I'm just so unsure... I noticed also even through my latex gloves his foot is so warm to touch.. It must be the infection and edema. Y'all can be honest with me I just have to ask. Do you think he can come back from this? Y'all think he's gonna make it?

I am so sorry to hear this. Sometimes you can find a compassionate vet & they will see an animal like this (under these circumstances) & treat it for free if they feel it is treatable or at least give you some advice. It is worth calling around & explaining your situation. What a kind heart you have. I agree with what someone said above about taking him home with you. Neglection of animals is illegal where I live. I will keep you & the rooster in my thoughts & prayers. Best of luck to you.
Thank you very much. It is also illgal in my state. Its very sad. I am gonna make some more calls as many as I can tomorrow for some help. But I cant really rely on help considering vets these days dont want to even look at your animal without a good amount of money. Im gonna go out on a limb here and continue to do everything I can. Im taking notes from every single comment. Im gonna try everything.

When I googled the shelters and Humane society I have one like an hr and 25 mins away... I'm really out here in the middle of no where that's one of the problems. I am gonna flush the wound over and over tomorrow before cutting anymore to see if maybe some of the black stuff could be scabbing, I really don't know that it is though because of how dark it is :( It wasn't black the day before when I did the surgery. It did bleed alittle bit while I was trying to clean it out. The way I've seen these infections handled through videos and reading. I can only imagine that if I dig out all the infection and do it thoroughly there will be a giant hole. But I will do whatt I got to do. I have very limited options. I am gonna look for a spacious cage tomorrow. The antibiotics is liquid and I am going back to my house in the morning to grab it. My oldest had strep throat last week and I only had to give her 10 days worth. I ended up having about 2 bottles left over. I believe each bottle has 50 ML in it, I'm pretty sure actually. I really think the antibiotics will help alot, Id like to start him on them tomorrow. Hes a very large and strong bird. From his behavior wise I really think he can make it and it's not too late. Hes still so active and still eating and drinking so well. But when I look at the wound I'm just so unsure... I noticed also even through my latex gloves his foot is so warm to touch.. It must be the infection and edema. Y'all can be honest with me I just have to ask. Do you think he can come back from this? Y'all think he's gonna make it?

Honestly, he *could* make it but it's truly a crap shoot at this point. Get me the strength (mg of penicillin per/whatever dose they've equated it to, usually 5ml for humans) and we'll figure out a dose for him in the morning.

Don't worry about him having a hole if it means removing all dead and infected tissue. Also, get the iodine and triple antibiotic without pain reliever- together should be 5-7 dollars. And even though the shelter is 1hr25 minutes away, call them anyway- they might be able to send someone to you.

I'm so sorry you're in this position :hugs

My 13 yr old daughter gets up at 5:30 Pacific time for school so I'll be on around then. Hang in there, you're doing great!:hugs

Honestly, he *could* make it but it's truly a crap shoot at this point. Get me the strength (mg of penicillin per/whatever dose they've equated it to, usually 5ml for humans) and we'll figure out a dose for him in the morning.

Don't worry about him having a hole if it means removing all dead and infected tissue. Also, get the iodine and triple antibiotic without pain reliever- together should be 5-7 dollars. And even though the shelter is 1hr25 minutes away, call them anyway- they might be able to send someone to you.

I'm so sorry you're in this position :hugs

My 13 yr old daughter gets up at 5:30 Pacific time for school so I'll be on around then. Hang in there, you're doing great!:hugs
Okay thank you so much ! Will do.

Its liquid penicillin 50 ML bottle. Also I did use an exacto knife... I will get a pair of scissors.. When I was picking at the none moveable stuff inside the hole it did start bleeding good.. Thats why I didnt continue I didnt know if that was healthy flesh or not.
I found this- just guess on weight (most roos weight between 3-5 lbs) and honestly, you can't really make him worse at this point. So he'd need around 250 mg by mouth twice a day.

ETA - get some plain yogurt to help with the probiotics he'll need while taking the penicillin.

Back
Top Bottom