Some questions about park geese and ducks...

mahsmaj

Songster
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Hannibal, Missouri
So today I went to one of my local parks and low and behold, a lot of domestic ducks and geese... There were about 10 geese, not one wild goose around either, and about 25-30 ducks around, A couple runner ducks with their broods, only a few that appeared to be wild mallards. Some of these birds were hurt and I thought I should do something about it but I wasnt sure if just taking them and helping them was even legal, so I left them there. But if I were to help them is there anyone I should contact first? Is it legal to take them? (I would be able to treat their wounds, give them food, water, shelter, and a lot of TLC!)

About a week and a half ago i removed a duck from a local park. his leg was injured, couldnt really walk and he was skinny from being bullied away from the food. he lives on our creek now with some wild mallard. theres an overbred pekin hen and a now lone gander i plan to bring home soon. check out the thread i started about the park goose rescue. lots of info there.

It can be very illegal to remove a animal from the park. You need to contact your parks department and then animal control if necessary. You may need to educate them that the ducks are domestic, and should not be in a setting that is natural like some parks can be. (I know that most parks have little or nothing in common with nature, but we have to humor those people that think it does.) So you can then also tell them at the city and animal control that you are set up to re-hab the ducks. I just promoted you to that level. This way if someone is going to be a piss ant you will have the backing of your local government, rather than being on your own and needing a lawyer.

PS I am not a lawyer, but this is what I would do to protect myself from others opinions, and their need to keep things status quo, to the determent of domestic animals. Some people will think that any duck is a wild animal. (And as it's been said "You can't fix stupid")

Back
Top Bottom