Wild Gosling Brooder?????+Ducks

WhiteCollarWeezy

Positive Chick
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2022
Central Arkansas
I have a favorite fishing pond a long walk from my home. I found a goose nest and stepped away to continue around the pond fishing just in case momma was around. I threw a few casts while walking around the pond and noticed a trail of feathers into the wood line. It appeared a predator had gotten the goose. I fished for a couple of hours and never saw any geese, so I gathered the 5 eggs and returned home. I placed them in the incubator and now they have hatched. I put them in with ducklings that hatched a week or so ago, the ducklings are the same size and no one is picking on anyone. But they are acting cold...I placed a red heat lamp above their brooder with the ducks, and gave them a "pool". I figured the ducks would teach them how to swim or bathe but they are not interested. I feel awful for them....they are wild, and truly i never thought they would hatch. Being the bird lover I am I wanted to at least give them a chance of life. 3 out of 5 came to life and I gave them a stuffed animal for a "momma". Is there anything else to comfort them? Any suggestions, Tips, or Tricks? Have never raised geese!!!!!!help!!!!!

I have a favorite fishing pond a long walk from my home. I found a goose nest and stepped away to continue around the pond fishing just in case momma was around. I threw a few casts while walking around the pond and noticed a trail of feathers into the wood line. It appeared a predator had gotten the goose. I fished for a couple of hours and never saw any geese, so I gathered the 5 eggs and returned home. I placed them in the incubator and now they have hatched. I put them in with ducklings that hatched a week or so ago, the ducklings are the same size and no one is picking on anyone. But they are acting cold...I placed a red heat lamp above their brooder with the ducks, and gave them a "pool". I figured the ducks would teach them how to swim or bathe but they are not interested. I feel awful for them....they are wild, and truly i never thought they would hatch. Being the bird lover I am I wanted to at least give them a chance of life. 3 out of 5 came to life and I gave them a stuffed animal for a "momma". Is there anything else to comfort them? Any suggestions, Tips, or Tricks? Have never raised geese!!!!!!help!!!!!
they are too young to have a pool available thats why they are cold, take away the pool.
I think contact a wildlife rehabber in your area, you arent supposed to keep wild birds

I agree take them to a rescue or rehabber asap. You need to separate them from the ducklings, wild birds can't handle the bacteria and pathogens domestic birds can. The ducklings could get the goslings sick. Set up a simple brooder with a large tote box, towels on the floor of it, and chick starter and a chick waterer that they can't get in. Don't offer any water, they get cold and waterlogged very fast. They can't swim safely until they're two weeks old and their oil glands start to become active. Heat the brooder with a heat lamp hung box high over one side. It should be around 90 degrees Fahrenheit under the lamp at least with room to move away. Watch and see how they're acting.

they are too young to have a pool available thats why they are cold, take away the pool.
they are drinking out of the pool now....following the ducks finally
I think contact a wildlife rehabber in your area, you arent supposed to keep wild birds
I do not plan on keeping them....If I ever see another goose at that pond I will get them back to their gander.

I agree take them to a rescue or rehabber asap. You need to separate them from the ducklings, wild birds can't handle the bacteria and pathogens domestic birds can. The ducklings could get the goslings sick. Set up a simple brooder with a large tote box, towels on the floor of it, and chick starter and a chick waterer that they can't get in. Don't offer any water, they get cold and waterlogged very fast. They can't swim safely until they're two weeks old and their oil glands start to become active. Heat the brooder with a heat lamp hung box high over one side. It should be around 90 degrees Fahrenheit under the lamp at least with room to move away. Watch and see how they're acting.
Their mothers nest was less than two feet from the water in the pond...

I would remove the pool. I raise several exotic/wild species and some benefit from wet brooding. Canadas (I'm assuming that's what you have here) and domestics really don't need it. Just more problems for you. Main thing is to make sure lamp is on and brooder is warm.

I completely sympathize with and respect you for rescuing the nest. Unfortunately, DNR and FWS don't reciprocate the same feelings. Any species under the Migratory Bird Act (basically anything native to North America) is regulated, and you must have correct licensing and permits to keep them. Even then, birds you keep must be captive bred unless under certain limited circumstances. Removing anything from the wild is a big no-no. Hefty fines involved.

I strongly recommend finding a wildlife rehabber or rescue and moving the goslings to their own brooder. Not necessarily because the domestics will harm them (they'd likely be fine) but so they're by themselves. I'd limit your personal contact with them to the absolute bare minimum as well. The goal of a rehabber will be to release back into the wild and those suckers imprint quick. You don't want them with that disadvantage; you want them to remain as wild as possible. How possible that will be, I am unsure. At least the rehabber will be properly licensed and permitted, however.

A lady I know brought me an adult Canada that her husband found as a baby at his workplace. They raised it with some chickens and the goose became as tame as a dog. Unfortunately, that means she is unfit to be wild. She has the free run of my open pond, so I don't "keep" her at all. She's free to leave at any time, although that's unlikely to ever happen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom