All about Geese and Ducks!

Feb 1, 2024
I just wanted to start a thread about geese and ducks! I have been wanting for a while to breed and sell them, starting with White Chinese Geese, because they are my FAVORITE kind of bird. Just tell about your geese and ducks! I have one White Chinese goose, and I plan to get a mate for him as soon as possible and start breeding and selling several different kinds! Someday I plan to do the same
IMG_4231.JPG
IMG_3691.JPG
with ducks!

I’ve had geese now for about 14 years and they’ve been a joy to have. Geese are noble and lovely individuals that all have different personalities. They bond easily with their owners at a young age but even when obtained at an older age if you give them time they can form strong attachments.
Geese do well with routines and can learn various things but on occasion they do have an adventurous side and enjoy tinkering with anything new and will sometimes go exploring.
Geese are also generally excellent parents and will adopt babies that aren’t even their’s. They love babies but sometimes require supervision with hatchlings as that love can sometimes be too over enthusiastic. Ganders can sometimes even get a little broody over eggs or egg like things and will even engage in a little nest building and sometimes even sit on eggs for short periods.
Geese get more hormonal and aggressive in breeding season, they’re quicker to anger and they just can’t help it, but they go back to normal at the end of the season.

I’ve actually had ducks longer than geese. Ducks are an enigma that even science fails to unravel. Just when you think you know something for sure about them, think again.
Ducklings like goslings are little fuzz balls of pure adorableness, but unlike geese it’s a facade meant to lure you in and trap you into a world of bipolar mind games and psychological and bio-warfare that at times will make you question wether your life is worth going on. If you survive the duckling stage with your mental state intact, things do improve…..somewhat, it varies honestly, many like me don’t ever truly recover mentally.
Over time your subconscious adapts to a state where you actually enjoy the antics of these creatures that incorporate the vary essence of chaos and their daily shenanigans will leave you laughing like a supervillain drunk on the latest plot to conquer the world by harnessing the chaos energy of their duck army.
As for why ducks are the way they are, maybe their inherent “duckyness” was an evolutionary adaptation that appeared somewhere when mallards split off from the rest of the dabbling duck tribe, perhaps it was a trait intentionally selected by whichever madman first domesticated them, or maybe it’s as my mom theorized “because they have the ability to observe the multiverse at all times.”

My sister-in-law has (I mean, had) ducks, a few weeks ago she finally got rid of them because they were more work than worth, and those five ducks were a bundle of trouble! XD The younger 3 would go down the ditch to the neighbors property and stay there at night, and it was a pain in the neck to bring them back again! I still really liked them though, she had 2 black swedish, 2 mallards, and one Pekin, I think. They were ADORABLE when they were ducklings, but then, THEY GREW UP! They all do sometime or other! :) I hope maybe to get Ancona ducks.

Back
Top Bottom