Well any rooster can attack the baby’s. It could be because their jealous or just for something to do. I’d put ur broody silkie in a spare coop, if you have one, so when the chicks hatch the roosters cant get to them and also so she doesn’t get distracted.
I have a spare small coop I can put them in so I probably will then, when do you recommend moving her? When she goes broody or just before hatch day? Thanks for the advice

when do you recommend moving her? When she goes broody or just before hatch day?
I've found that it's the mama that fights with the other hens and sometimes the rooster.
The chicks are often not threatened.
If your bird is broody....

When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days...along with those other signs I posted.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

I remove barrier about one week after hatch. The chicks are usually safe it's the broody who has to 'fight' her way back into the pecking order...which can be quick or take a few days.

Lots of space helps for re-integration.

Back
Top Bottom