Broody pullet (first time!)

ElfenLied89

Crowing
May 30, 2023
South Carolina
I have a broody NN silkie mix. This is her, and my, first time with going broody.

I want to mark eggs she is sitting on, but am afraid I will break her being broody. She was in nesting box #3 yesterday, but moved to nesting box #2 today. I went over, faced her broody mama wrath, and put her eggs she was sitting on under her. She allowed it, glaring at me the entire time. I couldn't get the other eggs behind her. She did have two cracked up front and I moved those out.

Any tips or advice for a first time broody mom and me the human chicken mom? Pic of my girl, Dolly Parton.

P.s.
Idk whose eggs she is sitting on 🤣

Attachments

• 20240504_154737.jpg
    20240504_154737.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 18
How many days has she been in the nest overnight? I would say being a first time broody, don't let her have the real hatching eggs until she's been sitting for 4-5 days straight. You can give her fake eggs or each day collect the real eggs she is sitting on and replace with a few fresh eggs. Eggs incubated 24 hours are still fine to eat so you aren't wasting them. Once she has been sitting 5 days, mark your hatching eggs and place them under her. Keep checking, as often others will deposit new eggs under her and you want to remove them each day. Have fun, broody hens are a whole new level of chicken fun!

How many days has she been in the nest overnight? I would say being a first time broody, don't let her have the real hatching eggs until she's been sitting for 4-5 days straight. You can give her fake eggs or each day collect the real eggs she is sitting on and replace with a few fresh eggs. Eggs incubated 24 hours are still fine to eat so you aren't wasting them. Once she has been sitting 5 days, mark your hatching eggs and place them under her. Keep checking, as often others will deposit new eggs under her and you want to remove them each day. Have fun, broody hens are a whole new level of chicken fun!
This is maybe day 2? I noticed her yesterday. I didn't go outside the day before unfortunately. So 3 days max. I am keeping an eye out. I noticed she has been in the same spot all day. I will check again in the morning. I do offer a small snack and some water each afternoon. She has nibbled at the snack and water. As long as she eats and stays healthy. She's my son's favorite bc of her naked neck. Hope she makes a good mom too.

I know nothing about broodies. Only what I read. I would love to know more about people's experiences in care for broodies and their babies etc.

She'll likely spend the first few days on full lockdown - not leaving the nest at all, and then start making a daily short trip out to poop, eat & drink. Each hen is different. Mama hens know what to do usually, so I stay hands off best I can. If she's in the nest boxes, keep an eye out for squabbles with other hens. Sometimes broody eggs get broken in nest box battles. I put my broody in a cat carrier, with a cage around her and give her access to food and water. She has a little corner of the coop to herself, and when I'm there to monitor I open the cage so she she's free to go out and dustbathe. When the chicks hatch, she'll sleep with them in the cat carrier and they have the small safe caged in area to themselves until Mama is ready to take them outside in a few days. She'll be a force to reckon with, growling and lunging at any hen that dare get close enough to harm her babies.

She'll likely spend the first few days on full lockdown - not leaving the nest at all, and then start making a daily short trip out to poop, eat & drink. Each hen is different. Mama hens know what to do usually, so I stay hands off best I can. If she's in the nest boxes, keep an eye out for squabbles with other hens. Sometimes broody eggs get broken in nest box battles. I put my broody in a cat carrier, with a cage around her and give her access to food and water. She has a little corner of the coop to herself, and when I'm there to monitor I open the cage so she she's free to go out and dustbathe. When the chicks hatch, she'll sleep with them in the cat carrier and they have the small safe caged in area to themselves until Mama is ready to take them outside in a few days. She'll be a force to reckon with, growling and lunging at any hen that dare get close enough to harm her babies.
I dont own a cat carrier. Maybe put a small curtain on the "door" to the nesting boxes? I have a tote I use as a brooder box. It's a decent size. Should I use that? My nesting box is two dressers turned into 8 spaces (4 on each dresser)

I dont own a cat carrier. Maybe put a small curtain on the "door" to the nesting boxes? I have a tote I use as a brooder box. It's a decent size. Should I use that? My nesting box is two dressers turned into 8 spaces (4 on each dresser)
You can try it, it will depend on your flock. If they let her be, then it may be fine. I have a few hens that tend to pile into her nest sitting on top of her and the broody chasing them off has broken a few eggs. If things seem calm during egg-laying time then it should be fine. If your hens are prone to nest-wars, you may want to try the tote, but the hens may still want to get in there and lay with her. Some people will remove Mama and eggs from the coop and then re-integrate them once they are older, but I prefer to let them stay with the flock. Just keep an eye on thngs over the next few days and see how it goes before you give her the hatching eggs.

Back
Top Bottom