Jun 7, 2020
NSW, Australia
Howdy all,

New to chickens, looking for some advice and knowledge from the more experienced. I recently acquired a silkie and the bloke I got her off said that she might go broody soon. She has laid 3 eggs over the last 3 days, so an egg a day. I've been leaving them in her nest box in the hope that she will sit on them. The main questions I have is how big will her clutch size need to be before she sits on them? Whats "average" for a silkie? She laid on the first morning after I got her so could this effect when she starts to brood or will she remember the eggs she laid before I picked her up in her clutch size. Sorry for the ignorant question. For note she had been with a silkie rooster so eggs should be fertile I'm thinking, at least thats what I was told. On a side note. If I do want her to incubate them is it okay to just leave them in the nest box. Or should I be bringing them inside and keeping them in a cool spot...? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Crumpet.jpg
    Crumpet.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 51
If they are fertile they can survive 7 days without being incubated
Do you want her to hatch the chicks?
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that's the plan. I figure I'll just let her build up a clutch and hopefully she starts sitting on them shortly while she's still laying fertile eggs. So they will only stay good for hatching if she starts sitting before they are a week old? Do you have any idea how many eggs a silkie usually lays before brooding if she is laying and brooding her own eggs? Thanks again

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that's the plan. I figure I'll just let her build up a clutch and hopefully she starts sitting on them shortly while she's still laying fertile eggs. So they will only stay good for hatching if she starts sitting before they are a week old? Do you have any idea how many eggs a silkie usually lays before brooding if she is laying and brooding her own eggs? Thanks again
When they go broody just depends on the chicken. If you put her in the nest box at night with the eggs under her she should go broody soon. But be careful with the baby chicks if they hatch as rooster tend to kill or badly hurt youngsters.

Nothing can 'make' a bird go broody.
A pile of eggs left in nest might trigger the hormones needed.
Best to use fake eggs for the pile, and keep the fertile eggs stored and ready to go if she does go broody.
Fertile eggs stored at about 60°F will still be viable for up to 2 weeks, after 7-10 days the viability begins to decrease.
If you have no male, she should stay fertile for up to 3 weeks.
Best to break open and egg and check for fertility tho, so you're not wasting your time. An incubator would be the best bet, as she may not go broody in her new home.

1592309824563.png

When they go broody just depends on the chicken. If you put her in the nest box at night with the eggs under her she should go broody soon. But be careful with the baby chicks if they hatch as rooster tend to kill or badly hurt youngsters.
Thanks for the advice! I have three young silkies (14 weeks thereabouts), I think they may be males, would they attack the baby chicks if she did go broody or is that unlikely considering their age? Thanks so much for your advice, really appreciate it.

Nothing can 'make' a bird go broody.
A pile of eggs left in nest might trigger the hormones needed.
Best to use fake eggs for the pile, and keep the fertile eggs stored and ready to go if she does go broody.
Fertile eggs stored at about 60°F will still be viable for up to 2 weeks, after 7-10 days the viability begins to decrease.
If you have no male, she should stay fertile for up to 3 weeks.
Best to break open and egg and check for fertility tho, so you're not wasting your time. An incubator would be the best bet, as she may not go broody in her new home.

View attachment 2197227
Okey doke. Thanks for the reply. I know there is no guarantee, just keeping my fingers crossed. Its winter here in Australia at the moment so the temp in the coop is around 60°F so hopefully they'll be okay in there as I don't really have another location which is temp controlled. Thanks for the advice on how long she should be fertile too. I might crack an egg later on, that's a good idea. Thanks so much for the helpful image.

Its winter here in Australia at the moment so the temp in the coop is around 60°F so hopefully they'll be okay in there as I don't really have another location which is temp controlled.
Oh, that's fine......I've had a broody hatch in much colder temps.....single digit F's.

A belated Welcome to BYC! @NarrawalleeChickens
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1592433574113.png

Thanks for the advice! I have three young silkies (14 weeks thereabouts), I think they may be males, would they attack the baby chicks if she did go broody or is that unlikely considering their age? Thanks so much for your advice, really appreciate it.
Well any rooster can attack the baby’s. It could be because their jealous or just for something to do. I’d put ur broody silkie in a spare coop, if you have one, so when the chicks hatch the roosters cant get to them and also so she doesn’t get distracted.

Back
Top Bottom