Sex of my chicks

Zoom in and you will be able to see pointy saddle feathers coming in.

Also, at 10 weeks old pullets would not have such big and red combs and wattles.

I have had ISA browns that had serious comb and wattle growth at a young age, but I admit, not that much. I still believe that IF the red bird is a "pure" Red Sex Link", it's a female (although almost all the others being mixed points that it's mixed). If the Red bird is a mix, I agree, it's a cockerel

I can't seem to be able to see the saddle feathers, but it would not be the first time my eyes fail me

I will be respectful. But that was quite some time ago when I posted that thread. Also during those time I have also continued to get chicks. I examine them everyday and adore them so I know their postures very will and I have chickens a variety of breeds. I also noticed you had changed your response when you were laughing at me. But I guess I was getting quick to defend myself. But then again only time well tell who is right. It also is technically a lie since it doesn't apply to all breeds or all chickens. Anyway, I do apologize.
that wasn’t him. That was me and I deleted my response because I realized it wasn’t very nice. I apologize. But he’s right, your responses weren’t very nice either. But I should not have laughed so apologies.

Anyways, sorry if I came in at a bad time…

The first two are definitely cockerels. Saddle/hackle feathers are visible on both. This is on the red one, those darker feathers coming in on his shoulder show he is a male.
IMG_5805.jpeg

The two barred birds look like pullets, from what I can tell, and also the black smooth feathered one. It’s too early for the Silkies. :)

I have had ISA browns that had serious comb and wattle growth at a young age, but I admit, not that much. I still believe that IF the red bird is a "pure" Red Sex Link", it's a female (although almost all the others being mixed points that it's mixed). If the Red bird is a mix, I agree, it's a cockerel

I can't seem to be able to see the saddle feathers, but it would not be the first time my eyes fail me
This is how a RIR x Red Sex Link rooster would look like, and I think the bird on the right side of the first picture could be exactly this mix :

ETA: Now the correct link.

https://images.app.goo.gl/QW1b3GTjFZLhjw3v7

Last edited:
I will be respectful. But that was quite some time ago when I posted that thread. Also during those time I have also continued to get chicks. I examine them everyday and adore them so I know their postures very will and I have chickens a variety of breeds. I also noticed you had changed your response when you were laughing at me. But I guess I was getting quick to defend myself. But then again only time well tell who is right. It also is technically a lie since it doesn't apply to all breeds or all chickens. Anyway, I do apologize.
It still is not a lie. It's just a rule that applies to almost all chickens. Considering that the other cockerel is mostly likely a mixed breed, I'd say the chances of the red chick being a RSL slim, making it a cockerel as well.

Back
Top Bottom