sex links traits?

chickengirl1193

Songster
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
north Jersey
I just put some eggs in my incubator. They are from a black EE roo over a RIR a BR and two Delawares. Is there any potential for sex linked characteristics? Here is a picture of my roo

Hes only 5 months old but my eggs have been fertile!

By EE do you mean Easter Egg? The EEs are not reliable colours He does appear to be gold. You would definitely get sex linked offspring from the Barred Plymouth Rock & from the Delaware. The female offspring being non barred & the males being barred.

It is possible you might be able to get sex linkage on the RIR's offspring; if the black EE has rapid feathering the pullet offspring would have flights developing pretty much from day one. Or, if the soles of the black EE's feet are dark grey, it is possible that the pullet offspring from the RIR would have dark soles & the cockerels light or yellow soles.

Okay thank you! How can I tell female from male with the Delawares? And yes he is an Easter Egger but his father was a pure ameraucana he has yellow soles on his feet

Your best bet is with the BR hen. Her eggs will produce black sex links, the male chicks will have a white spot on their heads and will grow out with barred feathers like their mom. The pullets will not have a white spot, the top of their head uniformly black, and will grow out with no barring at all.

The Delaware hens would make red sex links, but you need a gold roo like RIR or NH to complete that cross. The red chicks from that cross are the pullets. The black roo over delawares will not produce a reliable sex link.

Back
Top Bottom