Setting Eggs 12/28 - Hatching Buddies? Hatch-Along

There are a few I could part with of my 10... my faverolles which came from my flock. ..but my EE and cochins are just too sweet to part with. I think 3/4 cochins are frizzled... One smooth but they are so sweet. I think I'll name the EE Big Bird because it's so much bigger than the others... lol

Congrats on getting rid of yours btw.

You don't like the faverolles huh? That's one breed I was considering getting but I think my big girls would be too overbearing. I LOVE cochins though, and one of my founding girls is an EE and I love her :)

oh I like them... I have 3 girls and a roo named Mr. Fluffers... he's my avatar. I just know I can get more anytime lol. My big girls lay everyday... and quite frankly they hold their own fine with my other hens... they aren't as docile as what I have read and definitely not quiet... they talk ALL the time.

I have one faverolle and she is one of my most favorite chickens. She is also nowhere close to bottom of the pecking order, like I feared she might be. She doesn't even seem to care much about the pecking order with the other hens. She comes and goes as she pleases, but never bullies other hens. It's like she's completely outside of the order, heh! But when it comes to the roos, hoo-boy. She keeps them in line. She bullies the heck out of them. And she hardly ever lets one of them breed her. If they try, she turns around and grabs a wattle and won't let go. I've had more than one roo lose a piece of wattle to Sophie and walk around the chicken yard with blood all down his front. Once when the chickens were all out in the garden, two of the roos tried to gang up on a a single hen. Sophie saw this happening and ran right over. She leapt up in the air at one of the roos and knocked him over, and then grabbed a wattle on the second roo until he ran off crying, dragging Sophie behind him because she wouldn't let go. She's got issues with boys. ;)

HAHAHA you've got a little pitbull hen!
lau.gif

Looks like I'll be doing some barred rocks, a dozen fertile Trader Joe's eggs (experiment), and a dozen of these possible breeds: true Jersey Giant, Delaware...maybe others if I find them. It'll be be interesting!

Just started reading this thread, thought I would join in on the fun! I put my eggs in on the 26th and I am hatching 12 BCMs and 18 buff orps!

You're welcome to join, of course, but did you set on Jan 26th? Because we all set in December so our hatches are already done, my chicks are coming up 2 weeks old almost. :)

Wow, do chicks grow up fast! My foster babies that were hatched last Wed/Thursday are already getting real feathers on their wings, and the Americauna has some really pretty copper colors. And they are so funny to watch, as they already act just like big chickens - I brought momma some fresh grass and clover pickings, and a slug was hiding in there. They all pecked at the grass, and the Wyandotte chick stole the slug from momma twice, so she gave up and let the little one have it :) They don't seem much bigger though, then when I got them last week.

Back
Top Bottom