Seashells?

chuckachucka

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 22, 2016
I recently went to a beach where the sand was covered with finely ground up seashells, so I collected some. Having washed it thoroughly, is it safe and effective to give to my chickens as an oyster shell type replacement (i'm trying to switch my flock to grower pellets with calcium on the side so that the babies and adults can all eat the same food)? Or is this just a crazy idea?

Attachments

• 20180502_113456.jpg
    20180502_113456.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 67
I do not see how this would hurt. I assume you would offer it free choice. You can just spread it on the ground in your run area. Chickens will pick things up at will. They have good eyesight. They know what they need and like. They may utilize it as grit just the same. I'm also not sure how easily/effectively it can be processed by chicken to be usable calcium. Oyster shells are popular, and probably easily processed by chicken. They are very reasonably priced here. In the UK, seems EVERYTHING is priced HIGH... :idunno
If your chickens free range, they will get their calcium from greens growing on the ground. (grass, fodder, weeds, etc.)
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I don't know much on the subject but personally I would at least boil them and strain them both for parasites/pathogens as well as you don't want to be adding to much salt to there diet I assume, that aside I would go for it though.

Hi,
Just in case anybody else is searching for information about this subject, I would like to add my two cents:
I live in an island in the north of Norway, with access to a lot of ocean and some small beaches. Some of them have coarse white sand which we found to be perfect to use over black ice to get some grip and be able to walk. We left a bucket during summer in our garden just to be used again during winter but the chickens discovered it and since then, they go to the bucket every single day to pick some sand to use as grit I guess. I suppose it also accidentally got rinsed by the rain so since they got that habit, we noticed the egg shells are stronger and good looking so now I ensure they have a bucket with coarse sand always available and they love it

Interesting, thx
Hi,
Just in case anybody else is searching for information about this subject, I would like to add my two cents:
I live in an island in the north of Norway, with access to a lot of ocean and some small beaches. Some of them have coarse white sand which we found to be perfect to use over black ice to get some grip and be able to walk. We left a bucket during summer in our garden just to be used again during winter but the chickens discovered it and since then, they go to the bucket every single day to pick some sand to use as grit I guess. I suppose it also accidentally got rinsed by the rain so since they got that habit, we noticed the egg shells are stronger and good looking so now I ensure they have a bucket with coarse sand always available and they love it
Interesting, thx

Hi,
I’m so jealous you live in Norway. It’s the place I’d like to visit more than any other place in the world. Orcas have my heart. I loved reading about your chickens using crushed shells and beach sand for grit also.

Back
Top Bottom