Sav-a-Chick or Nutri Drench or ...?

fuzzi

She Who Brings Grapes
Premium Feather Member
Apr 5, 2022
Pitt County, NC
My Coop
My Coop
This week will be the first time getting chicks by mail. Lots of people use a supplement when chicks arrive.

Do you?

If you don't, why not?

If you do, what did you use?

Thanks!
:pop :pop:pop

I did not raising my first batch (mail order chicks, and I didn't know any of the products available because I hadn't really spent much time here). I lost one early on but the rest did great.

Second batch was from a local farm hatch (and is ongoing). I added Nutridrench to their water the first three days in declining doses because there were two obvious runts and a LOT more chicks to monitor (19 vs my original 10). I wanted to help them out while knowing I might be limited on time /miss early failure to thrive signs. While I've had a pasty butt/weak eater and a wry neck to deal with, I haven't lost anyone going on two weeks.

What I've learned since then is that there isn't any harm in giving them Nutridrench for a bit proactively in their water, I should also have offered normal water as an alternative in case anyone didn't like it or need the boost. In future I'll be going that route.

This week will be the first time getting chicks by mail. Lots of people use a supplement when chicks arrive.

Do you?
No

If you don't, why not?
I have not found it necessary. They have always arrived on time and in good shape. If they arrived late or in rough shape I would do something, probably use hummingbird liquid safely administered to each individual chick. Why hummingbird liquid? Mainly because I always have some on hand.

I personally do not see any harm in giving them either one of those products when they first arrive as long as you follow instructions and don't overdo it. If they do not need it, you have not hurt them. If they do need it you have helped them. If you give it, you have probably helped your peace of mind, whether they need it or not.

I prefer save a chick of the two, but Durvet is my top pick for chicks. The reason I don’t use Nutridrench is the lack of b vitamins. I have found that the chicks that ended up needed a vitamin supplement especially needed B vitamins.

I prefer save a chick of the two, but Durvet is my top pick for chicks. The reason I don’t use Nutridrench is the lack of b vitamins. I have found that the chicks that ended up needed a vitamin supplement especially needed B vitamins.
That is extremely helpful, thank you. Unfortunately no one has this in stock, chicks will be here Thursday or Friday.

I have not found it necessary. They have always arrived on time and in good shape. If they arrived late or in rough shape I would do something, probably use hummingbird liquid safely administered to each individual chick. Why hummingbird liquid? Mainly because I always have some on hand.

I personally do not see any harm in giving them either one of those products when they first arrive as long as you follow instructions and don't overdo it. If they do not need it, you have not hurt them. If they do need it you have helped them. If you give it, you have probably helped your peace of mind, whether they need it or not.
Appreciate your response, thank you. I don't have hummingbird liquid on hand, so will try to find something similar locally.

Agri Supply has the Sav-a-Chick electrolyte in stock, will stop by tomorrow after work to pick up a bale of straw and the Sav-a-Chick. It's probably good to have on hand.

The straw at TSC is modified/manufactured. I was not impressed after reading descriptions and reviews. I just want plain baled wheat straw.

Is it that difficult, really? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom