Sapphire gem breeding

sovietkennels

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 3, 2015
Charlotte NC
Hello, I have a question about breeding sapphire gems, (290 eggs/year?)

I know they won't breed true to the colors and I'll get a variation of blue splash and white spotted but will the egg production still be the same in the second and third Gen?

Sapphire gems were not created from sapphires.
They're fairly new to the states and little is really known about them.
There is some info from the company that created them but who's to say how true it is or if its just marketing at this point.
One issue is that that company says they're from an old andalusian type breed but then it goes on to say they're hybrids of Plymouth rocks.
The parent stock is a splash rooster over a barred hen. So they're sex linked. Hens blue and roosters blue barred.
The cross will produce blue, black and splash offspring with about half being barred and half non barred. No sex link in their crossing.
As for production in 2nd and 3rd generations. Who knows? I don't think anyone can even verify their production yet let alone future generations.

This is the first year they are out and most of us have just started having pullets that are laying so it will be a long time before anyone can answer your question on production. You will have to keep us updated if you do start breeding them. Just be aware that they will not be sex linked anymore.

Thank you guys, so In general then hybrids don't breed true to color but does that also apply to egg production also? Say red or white stars or amber links?

Sapphire gems were not created from sapphires.
They're fairly new to the states and little is really known about them.
There is some info from the company that created them but who's to say how true it is or if its just marketing at this point.
One issue is that that company says they're from an old andalusian type breed but then it goes on to say they're hybrids of Plymouth rocks.
The parent stock is a splash rooster over a barred hen. So they're sex linked. Hens blue and roosters blue barred.
The cross will produce blue, black and splash offspring with about half being barred and half non barred. No sex link in their crossing.
As for production in 2nd and 3rd generations. Who knows? I don't think anyone can even verify their production yet let alone future generations.

I just recently mated my sapphire gems barred male into blue, splash offspring hens. They just hatched within the last 24 hours. Im wondering if this in in fact true the Hens being blue and the roosters being blue barred in 2nd generation. I guess i would have to vent sex to determine the accuracy of this.

I just recently mated my sapphire gems barred male into blue, splash offspring hens. They just hatched within the last 24 hours. Im wondering if this in in fact true the Hens being blue and the roosters being blue barred in 2nd generation. I guess i would have to vent sex to determine the accuracy of this.
You have to breed a barred female to a non barred male to produce barred sex links. Males will have the barring gene and females won’t. 2nd generation sex links won’t actually be sex linked.

Back
Top Bottom