Are Sapphire Splash roos barred?

birchwoodbirds

Chirping
Mar 24, 2022
I want to tap into some Splash breeding and found Hoover's has the sapphire splash. I want to think they're going to be homozygous blue versions of the Sapphire Gem, and the last SG roo I got in a shipment turned out to be barred. For what I have in mind, I'd prefer the roo be splash over some black hens.

But I can't tell by looking at picutres if the Splash version has barring under all the splashy.

Anyone know for sure?

The ones I've seen have not been barred, but you are right, on a splash background it's very hard to tell for sure. The point of Sapphire Gem cockerels being barred is because those are a sexlinked cross, and they can tell the cockerels from the pullets at hatch because the cockerels are barred and the pullets are not. I wouldn't think you'd be able to tell, at least not consistently, if there was barring in a splash chick, so I imagine maintaining barring in Sapphire Splashes was not a priority for that reason. But, that said, I don't know what the intentions were with the production of Sapphire Splashes.

What are your goals with your splash breedings? I believe several hatcheries sell Splash Marans if you're looking for a pure breed that won't have a potential barring gene hanging out in it.

I am not sure. Let me tag someone that might know.

@MysteryChicken
Thank you! I appreciate your help! I did purchase some SS hatchign eggs(understanding they're a hybrid, not a "breed") that are now incubating....still don't think I'll be able to see barring even if it exists. LOL Last resort I guess would be to cross a SS roo over a solid color hen and see what happens?

Last resort I guess would be to cross a SS roo over a solid color hen and see what happens?

That would do the trick! Crossing him to Black hens as you mentioned in the first post would produce the most apparent barring in the chicks. If your Sapphire Splash has barring, then at least half of his chicks should inherit it from him.
Slight edit for clarity

Last edited:
The ones I've seen have not been barred, but you are right, on a splash background it's very hard to tell for sure. The point of Sapphire Gem cockerels being barred is because those are a sexlinked cross, and they can tell the cockerels from the pullets at hatch because the cockerels are barred and the pullets are not. I wouldn't think you'd be able to tell, at least not consistently, if there was barring in a splash chick, so I imagine maintaining barring in Sapphire Splashes was not a priority for that reason. But, that said, I don't know what the intentions were with the production of Sapphire Splashes.

What are your goals with your splash breedings? I believe several hatcheries sell Splash Marans if you're looking for a pure breed that won't have a potential barring gene hanging out in it.
I have some splash marans eggs in the 'bator at the moment. My preference for the current project ('cause there's always a project with chickens!) would be a lighter, non feather footed breed. I have several SG/Ayam Cemani as well as WTB/AC chicks and am loving what I'm getting, so woudl like to guarantee blue color by using splash.

Ah, I see! Yeah, Marans are the only pure breed that I can recall seeing sold just as Splash. Everything else is buy them as Blues and you have a chance at getting a Black or Splash in the mix. Hopefully your Sapphire Splashes are not barred so they can do what you want them to do for your project! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom