Safe-Guard Wormer for Chickens - Can it be used in their water ?

Many of the people on the peafowl forum do put it in the water, but I seriously doubt it's effectiveness and I sure would like to know why people keep doing it even though they keep loosing birds to parasite infestations. Like eggcessive said, it will settle, that is a fact. If one really wanted to use Safeguard (fenbendazole) in the water they could could probably use powdered fenbendazole for fish instead. Either way, you would have to do some math and figure out how much a bird drinks in a day and how much wormer to add. IMNSHO, it's cheaper and more effective to bite the bullet and worm your birds orally.

-Kathy

Ditto.

I just purchased Safe-guard, it is liquid. I put 3ml in 1 gallon of water and left the water our for 2 days. I am really noticing a lot more worms in their poop now. Is that is what is supposed to happen, the worms die and get passed? That being said my black australorp pooped in front of me this morning and she had live adult and babies in her feces. Should I give them another dose undiluted?? Or wait 10 days and see what happens. Everyone seems to be ok, active, eating, drinking, no droopy combs or lethargy. Thanks.

If its the liquid, you should probably give it orally, not in the water (though, as Casportpony said, this can be done). If its the paste, its usually also given orally, like in a piece of bread.

Yes, there is a withdrawal period, fourteen days.
For safe guard there is no egg or meat hold. This is from my vet

I just purchased Safe-guard, it is liquid. I put 3ml in 1 gallon of water and left the water our for 2 days. I am really noticing a lot more worms in their poop now. Is that is what is supposed to happen, the worms die and get passed? That being said my black australorp pooped in front of me this morning and she had live adult and babies in her feces. Should I give them another dose undiluted?? Or wait 10 days and see what happens. Everyone seems to be ok, active, eating, drinking, no droopy combs or lethargy. Thanks.
I used safe guard in my water. You’re supposed to discard the unused water after 24 hours. My vet said to use 9 ml in 2 gallons of water. But I have 50 hens to treat

I used safe guard in my water. You’re supposed to discard the unused water after 24 hours. My vet said to use 9 ml in 2 gallons of water. But I have 50 hens to treat
Are you using the new Safe-Guard Aquasol? Because if so it is different than the other Safe-Guard mentioned here.

Back
Top Bottom