Safe-Guard Wormer for Chickens - Can it be used in their water ?

1 kg equals about 2.25 lbs for us Americans that do not like that European metric system, lol. Good post, Kathy.
Yes, pesky Americans do seem to have a hard time with the metric system, but I figured the OP would be okay with it given that they're Canadian, lol.
hide.gif
lau.gif
For me the math is so much easier to do when giving medications and it's how my vet does it, so I've adapted. FWIW, I still think of horses, dogs and people in pounds, not kg
big_smile.png
, but when I look at a bird the first number that comes to mind is a metric number....

-Kathy

Last edited:
Yes, pesky Americans do seem to have a hard time with the metric system, but I figured the OP would be okay with it given that they're Canadian, lol.
hide.gif
lau.gif
For me the math is so much easier to do when giving medications and it's how my vet does it, so I've adapted. FWIW, I still think of horses, dogs and people in pounds, not kg
big_smile.png
, but when I look at a bird the first number that comes to mind is a metric number....

-Kathy
The metric system is the problem. They keep trying to get us Americans on that goofy system. Yup, Canadians are on that system too. The practicality and simplicity of US units makes more sense. I shouldn't say "European" since our units are derived from the English. Remind your vet that he's working in America, not France.
smack.gif

Happy Thanksgiving, btw.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the dosage volumes. :)

Now here's the dilemma I am facing; today I learned that I have a choice between three different types of dewormers; Valbazen, piperazine and Safe-Guard. So which one should I use ? I do like the idea that Piperazine allows me to add it to their water , that seems to be a lot easier than having to orally dose them myself. Can someone tell me what I should use and how much to dose per bird, how many doses and if their is a withdrawal period for their eggs. Clearly I now know about Safe-Guard, just need the info on the other two :).

Piperazine gets only roundworms, so I'd go with Valbazen or Safeguard. FYI, if I read the study correctly, the most effective dose of Valbazen is 20mg/kg (20mg per 2.2 pounds), which is ~.18ml/kg since Valbazen is 113.6mg/ml. There is another study that showed that Safeguard was effective against tapeworms and gapeworms, but it had to be given three days in a row, so if you're looking for the one that gets the most worms and the easiest to use, Valbazen is it.

-Kathy

Thank you for the response, Kathy ! I will be purchasing some Valbazen today. I have 14 chickens and to make things easier would it be ok to go with .5 ml per standard sized chicken for the first dose, then in 10 days give that same dose ? After that I'll plan to dose them every 6 months or so. Also, to make it a bit easier, and from some of the info I have been reading, is it ok to dose a piece of bread for each bird and feed it that way instead of directly dosing the bird with a syringe ?

This is how I would do it:

• Leghorn hen - .5ml
  • Rhode Island Red hen - .6ml
  • Cochin hen .8ml
  • Orpington hen - .75-.9ml
  • Jersey Giant - .9-1ml

On bread will work, but I find it easier to just grab and dose.

-Kathy

Thanks again ! I have a few BR, RIR and Black Star hens, I'll dose them each at .6ml. I have one BA rooster and I'll dose him at .9ml. The withdrawal period for eggs is 14 days after the second dose at 10 days, correct ?

Dose again at 10 days... but I haven't ever looked into egg withdrawal times, so I'd just go by what other people here say.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom