Raising chicks - shipped chicks dying?

BeccaRecca13

Songster
Jun 23, 2021
New Hampshire
Just got a shipment of chickens, but have lost one a day for three days. I’m afraid to loose anymore, so I added probiotic and electrolytes to water. Is there anything else I can do? I have a heating producer brooder plate for warmth and plenty of food and water. Not sure if this is normal to loose some? Only my second time having chickens and normally I buy at a feed store, this year I ordered through a hatchery.

Unfortunately it's common to lose chicks during shipments, especially if there is a big difference in temperature from place to place. I've had about 8-9 orders of chicks come in the past year (from various hatcheries) and all have lost at least a few - either dying during shipment before getting here or the first 1-2 days after arriving. The shipment is very stressful for them and any rapid temperature changes will only make it worse. Though if you're still losing chicks several days after the shipment, keep an eye out for cocci symptoms or other illnesses. Make sure to separate the weak/sick chicks from the others. Best of wishes, I know it's stressful.

Unfortunately it's common to lose chicks during shipments, especially if there is a big difference in temperature from place to place. I've had about 8-9 orders of chicks come in the past year (from various hatcheries) and all have lost at least a few - either dying during shipment before getting here or the first 1-2 days after arriving. The shipment is very stressful for them and any rapid temperature changes will only make it worse. Though if you're still losing chicks several days after the shipment, keep an eye out for cocci symptoms or other illnesses. Make sure to separate the weak/sick chicks from the others. Best of wishes, I know it's stressful.
I got the shipment on Wednesday, so yesterday, and I lost one in the shipment, then had one this morning when I checked, and I just went down to check them for nighttime and I lost another under one of the heaters.
I have a faverolle that is weak on its feet, it falls over. I was making it drink some water and then tried to get it to eat some food, but no luck. It went back under the heater and has been there sense. It also had pastey butt, which I cleaned with warm water and removed the chunk.

normally I buy at a feed store, this year I ordered through a hatchery
Losing a few is fairly normal, but when you buy from a feed store you don't see the chicks that arrive there dead, or any that die there before you buy yours.

I agree with @greenthebean that losses usually stop after the first few days (after the weak chicks either die or get stronger.)

How many chicks did you get?

Losing a few is fairly normal, but when you buy from a feed store you don't see the chicks that arrive there dead, or any that die there before you buy yours.

I agree with @greenthebean that losses usually stop after the first few days (after the weak chicks either die or get stronger.)

How many chicks did you get?
They had a minimum of 25, So I ordered the minimum. They gave me 3 free of hardier birds as I did order some smaller breeds. So the total was really 28.

Photos of your setup?
44E96F7A-8831-4211-AC82-EEA7968157A0.jpeg 942DE223-069D-464B-A3C7-DD57340003DB.jpeg

I had the food and water on food to keep the bedding out, but they couldn’t reach yet, so I did remove that wood and put them down in the bedding. I’ve used the shaving/sawdust from my husbands lumber mill.

Looks fine to me…perhaps they’re just weak. If you lose many more that may be cause for concern though.
Thank you so much.
I built this last year when my husband said I couldn’t have chickens in our kitchen anymore unless he could eat them 😂
The one in the shipping container wasn’t even grown really. Smaller than my pinky nail (SUPER SMALL). Then the first one this morning was an Ancona and was rather weak on its feet. The one I was concerned with was tonight’s as it was a bielefelder.: which was fine this morning? But it was smooshed under the heater plate.
I’m hoping for no more losses, but I do have a week Faverolle right now, which is half the size of the other one I ordered as I got 2.. I do like the breeds that came in the shipment as they were different then the feed stores, but the death rate seems more (probably because mentioned above as I don’t see the fresh shipped ones that died that day or the next day).

Thank you again for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom