Question on ready-made coops from tractor supply

Don't listen to these naysayers..... for only $199 it's a good buy. Yeah, you can build your own but you're looking at paying 4x as much and not to mention all the hard labor work you have to put into it.......... just get one of these things for two hundred, an hour or two to set it up, and you're good to go! Some of the folks in here act as if these things are made out of graham crackers or something, there's online review of this exact same coop that's been holding up for a few years (make sure to coat coop with water sealant).
Sorry but they are junk. The "naysayers" on here have alot of experience with them. Just because one review says it lasted "a few years" isn't saying much.
You can find a used shed for that price then attach a run pretty cheap as well.

Wait for Ducks??

Yup the creature that are as messy as pigs :)

Sorry but they are junk. The "naysayers" on here have alot of experience with them. Just because one review says it lasted "a few years" isn't saying much.
You can find a used shed for that price then attach a run pretty cheap as well.

Totally agree , some just like to stir the pot with zero experience behind them !!

Do what I plan on doing. Buying a prefabbed. All the design and guts are there. Then add reinforcement to it where ever needed. I am handy and my husband too. Getting the stuff needed home from store is hard for us and my hub isn't so fast at building and works a lot of hours. Will be easier to remake what's already made.

I am not a handy person, I try, but I hurt myself all the time. Two weeks ago I drilled my finger to the run..lol

So I'm taking the coop that's in the picture and fully enclosing it--floor, second window, added ventilation and all. Like you said the guts are there. So instead of having the smaller area to roost at night, they will have the whole coop, which dimension wise can indeed hold 8(I got 7)you just got to redesign it.

I'm actually only doing this because winter is coming and I want a place they all can hang out and they can move around. It would be no different then any coop that is 4x7 when I'm done. Next year I'm making one that attaches to the run and this one will become home to my one rooster and up to 4 rooster friends(in case I do decide to hatch some babies and they are boys--they will become a rooster flock)

Yes, for Muscovy ducks

Ducks need something lower to the ground that they can walk right into or with a small ramp.

Here is my duck house. This was done for about $100-most of the wood was free and the person that made it did so for free out of the kindness of his heart

image.jpg

Well...the one I have might last until I either purchase a shed (very likely) to “make” a coop. I’m not getting any younger and that sounds appealing to me. There are beautiful coops out there that are well made the one I love is a mere 1400 dollars! So the NOT SO quality coops do have a market for chicken keepers. For those just starting out. The life expectancy of the average chicken (sorry don’t do ducks) is what? Let’s say 6-7 years so...folks will find out if chicken keeping becomes a passion and in that case they will WANT a stronger more secure better coop. Or the FAD will pass and they will move on. You could say It’s the same for dogs (dog houses) or any other pet. Personally my tiny little prefab just is not going to cut it on so many levels period. I WANT for my chickens something better for now it will do. We all keep chickens differently for different reasons. Sometimes we just need to see people doing the best they can with what they’ve got. My little “hella deal” chicken coop started a passion. To each his own.

Well...the one I have might last until I either purchase a shed (very likely) to “make” a coop. I’m not getting any younger and that sounds appealing to me. There are beautiful coops out there that are well made the one I love is a mere 1400 dollars! So the NOT SO quality coops do have a market for chicken keepers. For those just starting out. The life expectancy of the average chicken (sorry don’t do ducks) is what? Let’s say 6-7 years so...folks will find out if chicken keeping becomes a passion and in that case they will WANT a stronger more secure better coop. Or the FAD will pass and they will move on. You could say It’s the same for dogs (dog houses) or any other pet. Personally my tiny little prefab just is not going to cut it on so many levels period. I WANT for my chickens something better for now it will do. We all keep chickens differently for different reasons. Sometimes we just need to see people doing the best they can with what they’ve got. My little “hella deal” chicken coop started a passion. To each his own.
The more expensive ones I have found I'm sure are made better but not much bigger without going into thousands.

Back
Top Bottom