Question of the Day - Tuesday, March 26th, 2024

How stuff like the Grand Canyon was formed
OK that's general 101 level geology. All the career fields in geological sciences will build off the fundamentals you will learn on those levels of classes. Right now, the good money in the field is in:

* Hydrogeology/hydrology (the study and understanding of groundwater)

* Exploration Geology (hunting for mineral resources)

* Geoscience (The study of the earth as a whole)

* Engineering Geology (Study and analysis of localized geology for engineering and construction purposes)

Petroleum Geology (looking for oil)

These are all 6 figure careers, and almost all of them are in the oil/gas/mineral/structural engineering/construction fields.

Some other cool specializations include:

* Volcanology (studying volcanoes). This was my emphasis.
* Geophysics (studying the physics of the earth and its environment in space)
* Planetary Geology (Studying OTHER planets' geology)
* Geothermal Engineering (a specialization in geothermal energy)

There are a lot of places you can land as a geologist. You will need solid math, English, and physical science foundations to build from and a degree from a high-reputation geology school like the Colorado School of Mines (for example).

If you're really passionate about it, go for it! The field trips are awesome.

Dog trainer and groomer
Pick a good market, where people can afford to pay a good trainer and care enough to have their dogs trained. You might also have a corner of your shop set up to take photos of the freshly-groomed dogs and offer one free photo, plus a whole plethora of related items such as mugs, portraits ... shirts, jackets, towels ... you name it. I taught basic obedience for years through a community college and loved it but made nominal money at it, as the college paid me. Set up your own school and pay yourself, be your own boss. Get certified and write your own ticket. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom