Question for the Chicken Psychiatrists out there:

I do know for a fact that if you have two roosters fighting.. and you go over and break up the fight by grabbing rooster #2 by the neck or tail and make him run off.. it does raise the rank of rooster #1. especially if you continue to back rooster #1 every time you see a fight break out

I've done this time and time again with new roosters where i wanted one to become the "alpha" roo..

Quote:
X2 exactly to bad there are way too many people who feel the opposite. That is also the main reason I think there is a rash of poor caregivers ( for lack of a better word ) Too many folks not knowing any better and torturing their birds whith human emotions, clouding their ability to properly figure the deal out. JMO !!!!

Wow, this just makes me angry. It's too bad there are way too many jerks who think that stuffing cages full of birds, feeding them up good and fat for 6 weeks and then butchering them and putting them on their tables is the only way to go for proper, quality caregiving. Give me a break. Yes, my feathers are ruffled. I'm not going to apologize for enjoying my birds, for spending enough time with them that I can tell each one's individual personality and their likes and dislikes, etc. I'm not going to apologize for spending hundreds of dollars to build them a fancy new coop and run, to see that they have excellent shelter from the wind and rain, the heat and sun, and yet still get to be outside enjoying a big yard to live in, and live like real chickens. I'm not going to apologize for caring that they are comfortable, happy, and living the best, long, healthy life I can give them while they treat me with their own contributions of eggs each day.

You know, meat is not the only thing a chicken is good for, and your sad, cold view of the "proper" way to treat other living creatures makes me sick. Have your opinion, fine, it's your right. But how dare you accuse those of us who care about our birds of being poor caregivers and torturing our pets just because we care about them and want them to be safe, sound, and happy. If I were raising my dinner, I would feel the same way. They deserve a quality of life, and we, as the ones who have made the decision to domesticate, house, and care for these creatures, have made it our responsibility to care for them the best we can as long as they are in our hands. I really don't understand how you can fault a person for squeezing some personal enjoyment out of this (sometimes very disgusting) experience of chicken-keeping.

But I guess that's just me: the dimwitted, emotional, cloudy-brained, chicken torturer. I better get my evil butt back outside and resume work on my multi-hundred dollar custom torture chamber. I wouldn't want them getting too comfortable in my basement, they might start getting the crazy idea I like them.
frow.gif

I have shy girls that I favor, but I don't do it in front of the flock where I've seen them get picked on for special treatment. In fact, three of my "shy girls" have learned to meet me on the counter in the barn where they'll get a whole special plate of snacks and not have to fight amongst the bullies in the yard. *shrug* I dunno. The first time I gave Georgia some cheese and all of the bully girls seized upon her for it, I instantly felt guilt and knew there had to be a less stressful way to reward my friendliest hen.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful replies. I can see there are two schools of thought on the issue! (at least ) It makes sense to me that the low girl in pecking order would be the friendliest, and the flock leader the least friendly. Yinepu, your comments about roos fighting is very interesting. These particular chickens won't end up on my platter, so I guess it is OK to anthropomorphize a bit. Just thinking "out loud" here, but it is hard to explain how chickens are considered so dumb by most folks, while their cousins, parrots, are darn smart. Remember Alex, the African Grey trained by Irene Pepperberg? And then there is Mike, the famous chicken who lived without a head.....

I've known a few people who live without their heads.
cool.png

Or, at least without using them.

Interesting post.

Quote:
X2 exactly to bad there are way too many people who feel the opposite. That is also the main reason I think there is a rash of poor caregivers ( for lack of a better word ) Too many folks not knowing any better and torturing their birds whith human emotions, clouding their ability to properly figure the deal out. JMO !!!!

Wow, this just makes me angry. It's too bad there are way too many jerks who think that stuffing cages full of birds, feeding them up good and fat for 6 weeks and then butchering them and putting them on their tables is the only way to go for proper, quality caregiving. Give me a break. Yes, my feathers are ruffled. I'm not going to apologize for enjoying my birds, for spending enough time with them that I can tell each one's individual personality and their likes and dislikes, etc. I'm not going to apologize for spending hundreds of dollars to build them a fancy new coop and run, to see that they have excellent shelter from the wind and rain, the heat and sun, and yet still get to be outside enjoying a big yard to live in, and live like real chickens. I'm not going to apologize for caring that they are comfortable, happy, and living the best, long, healthy life I can give them while they treat me with their own contributions of eggs each day.

You know, meat is not the only thing a chicken is good for, and your sad, cold view of the "proper" way to treat other living creatures makes me sick. Have your opinion, fine, it's your right. But how dare you accuse those of us who care about our birds of being poor caregivers and torturing our pets just because we care about them and want them to be safe, sound, and happy. If I were raising my dinner, I would feel the same way. They deserve a quality of life, and we, as the ones who have made the decision to domesticate, house, and care for these creatures, have made it our responsibility to care for them the best we can as long as they are in our hands. I really don't understand how you can fault a person for squeezing some personal enjoyment out of this (sometimes very disgusting) experience of chicken-keeping.

But I guess that's just me: the dimwitted, emotional, cloudy-brained, chicken torturer. I better get my evil butt back outside and resume work on my multi-hundred dollar custom torture chamber. I wouldn't want them getting too comfortable in my basement, they might start getting the crazy idea I like them.
frow.gif

roll.png

Back
Top Bottom