Nice rooster bullies one hen only.

chocluver

Songster
8 Years
Nov 7, 2015
Hi all

I have 14 hens and one rooster. He is an angel of a boy, very protective, forages for them, never aggressive with them or humans.

Except...he absolutely hates one hen. He chases her off food and water constantly. She's very quick and flightly and constantly has one eye on him. She is always willing to mate, but he just stands on her, pecks and pulls at her head and doesn't actually mate with her.

I have read a few similar questions about bullying but not quite the same scenario. The other hens are fine with her. She's the only one of her breed (breakel) so looks quite different but we also have other single hens of one breed .

Separation for a few days doesn't change anything and he does the same inside and out so not a space issue either.

Anything else I could try? Or...may evhe just doesn't like her and that's it?

Hi all

I have 14 hens and one rooster. He is an angel of a boy, very protective, forages for them, never aggressive with them or humans.

Except...he absolutely hates one hen. He chases her off food and water constantly. She's very quick and flightly and constantly has one eye on him. She is always willing to mate, but he just stands on her, pecks and pulls at her head and doesn't actually mate with her.

I have read a few similar questions about bullying but not quite the same scenario. The other hens are fine with her. She's the only one of her breed (breakel) so looks quite different but we also have other single hens of one breed .

Separation for a few days doesn't change anything and he does the same inside and out so not a space issue either.

Anything else I could try? Or...may evhe just doesn't like her and that's it?
This has nothing to do with her breed, they don’t look strange, no puffy hair or anything like it. Maybe he just hates her.

I used to have lots of black hens and Roos and 1 buff colored hen. One of the roosters treated the buff hen just as you described. She tended to be flighty, loud, and distressed.

This has nothing to do with her breed, they don’t look strange, no puffy hair or anything like it. Maybe he just hates her.
He really does!
Although we do find same breeds hang out together, at least when young. She arrived by herself so not sure if that was related.

The easiest solution is to get rid of the one you don't want. If he is a good rooster, I would be tempted to keep him, and let her go. Hens are much easier to sell than roosters.

HOWEVER, if he picks a new victim...well then ask him to supper.

Always solve for peace in the flock.

Mrs K

Our rooster did that to the bottom hen in the pecking order. He's a Gold Laced Wyandotte and she's a Barnevelder. We re-homed him when she started not coming down from the coop to eat or drink because he would chase her off. She is a lot better off now, much less flighty and she's moved up the pecking order, and he's happy in his new home. I miss my roo, but the hens come first.

I agree with @Mrs. K except for one thing: The culling part. I think there no need to cull a perfectly good rooster; see if someone else wants him first.

Good luck! :frow

A rooster that picks a second victim, is not a good rooster. Roosters can be very difficult to re-home.
I see what you mean.

I just thought @chocluver should try re-homing instead of culling immediately since they seem attached to the rooster.

I hope I didn't sound rude in my post; I didn't mean for it to come across that way! :)

My 2 are competing for the hens and breeding them too much so I decided to split the flock in half and give both roosters the same number of hens(almost) Then I'll observe them and decide which one to keep.I'd almost rather buy fertilized eggs than deal with a rooster to begin with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom