Putting a piece of Copper in water to stop Algae growth?

They use sacrificial metal on the bottom of boats to prevent corrosion. While this question was not about corrosion, I think that the copper might work the same way so that the algae forms on it and not in the rest of the waterer. Heck I don't know....it sounded so much better and so much more relevant in my head
hide.gif

Well, I think it might have to do with some metals inhibiting growth of algae....like the roof vents not having algea and even some strips you can buy to keep your whole roof free of algea growths...but I thought it was zinc, not copper....but then I've been wrong before.
hide.gif

Quote:
It is supposed to inhibit bacterial growth, and viri, that makes sense.
My mother had a burn salve that was colloidal silver.
Before refrigeration, I bet people used all kinds of stuff that with time we have all forgotten.
Pumps,wells, and electricity have reduced the need for a copper plate in the water bucket I bet.

Bottom paint on boats contains copper to inhibit algae growth. Zinc anodes on boats are sacrificial and wear away from stray electric currents before more noble metals (like iron or steel). Zinc strips are also used on roofs to stop moss from growing. I would put a piece of scrap copper pipe in the water bowl. That should work.

Back
Top Bottom