Putting a piece of Copper in water to stop Algae growth?

chickeman

Hatching
9 Years
May 18, 2010
A friend recently told me that you can put a piece of copper in your water and it will help stop algae from growing. I tried looking it up on google but couldn't find anything specifically about it. Has anyone else heard of doing this? Does it work? Could it pose any health risks to chickens?

Years ago my dad threw a penny in the dogs water bucket. It didn't have algae, until the copper wore off the penny and it was just zinc. But then the dogs probably didn't get a sore throat. I do no know why we do not do it now. Read up on ACV (apple cider vinegar) there are a lot of posts on it for use in the water. Supposed to be good all around...I don't know why we don't do that either. (because the husband is a non believer, that's why.)

I have never heard of it, but adding a few pennies I wouldn't think would hurt anything..just keep an eye on it.

So what is the benefit to just washing your waterer? fresh water is better than slimey alge water. Just scrub it and refresh the water.

With the copper you don't HAVE to scrub algae, since it inhibits the growth, and they still get fresh water​

Back
Top Bottom