Please help...Screw found in hens xray!

From the xray it might be possible that the screw had been in the bird for a long time and it might be covered in fibrous tissue (a defense mechanism). In this case the foreign object is not dangerous anymore and it is safer to leave it where it is. If the bird looks and acts normal and the screw does not move in a week, I wouldn't bother.
I had another x-ray done on May 2nd, it has not moved at all.
However, the whole reason we took her to the vet the 1st time awhile ago now was because she was gaping anytime she ate, anytime the wind blew just slightly, or no wind but extremely cold air outside (we have kept her inside our house since this all started months ago!) anyhow long story shorter, The vet said she could possibly have gapeworms which I knew she didn't but we went ahead and treated her anyhow. Second visit was because we thought possibly caused a mass die off because of the way she was acting as if she had something stuck in her throat started with coughing, severe coughing more like choking (yes I know chickens can't choke), stretching out her neck, shaking her head so on and so forth. That is why we got the x-ray to ensure something want stuck in her airway or her esophagus , that's when we found the screw! Oh at that 1st visit he also prescribed Tylan 200 (50 was out of stock) because it could possibly have been a respiratory infection. So we treated the whole flock due to a couple of the others that were sneezing at the time as well. Slowly but surely long after the treatment of the antibiotics and the gapeworm treatment she slowly came around after having gotten so bad I had to tube feed her a few times to get her interest back in food (That or it was that she didn't want me to to feed her anymore so she decided she eat on her own.lol) which again you guys helped me save her life through all that as well.(Instructing me on how to do so, providing links to YouTube videos etc... THANK YOU!)
ANYHOW BACK TO TODAY...She does her normal things...Free ranges, takes her dirt baths, expects her treats, gets her oxygen treatment at night, ext.
However, anytime the wind blows or if there is no wind it's cold outside just the air itself, or she over exerts herself in any, and after or during her dust bathing...she does still have a bit hard time breathing and on occasion will open mouth gasp.
I will tell you one thing but y'all probably already know Chickens are a lot smarter than us humans give them credit for because a lot of times I have caught her literally caught her being just totally fine and then seeing me look at her she suddenly will start doing her little episodes.
I will definitely definitely try the sauerkraut thing and I pray she likes it enough to eat it!

Hopefully, she will enjoy it and stuff herself like my dogs did.
Thank you so much for your advice. All is appreciated! I lost my lil boy (bantam roo) May 2nd, when we took him in along with bossy because just a few days prior he was walking a lil oddly, then walking odd n slow. I checked him over, felt for anything abnormal with his bones, and only thing I could figure was I needed to remove the sheath from his spur as it w had gotten so long it was rubbing against his other foot/leg as he took each step, so we soaked him in Epsom salt to get it soft surrounding his spur (same process we always did 3 times prior), twist back n forth gently at the very base and if it comes off really easily (after the 1st couple times), then we blukote and wrap it. No problems what do ever. However, between then and the 2 days till very visit, he couldn't at all walk, barely stand for a few minutes like 2-3 minutes at as time! Still eating and drinking like a piggy, having poops and all Else was entirely normal. I still couldn't feel any reason why. Took him in with bossy and very couldn't feel anything either so did X-ray of him as well and he had a broken femur. I said oh thank goodness then it can be fixed and he'll be ok (he's the love of my life!!!) Vet said no Kathy, the break is way to high, he will have to be put down. I lost it then and there still can't deal today with this loss. Anyhow just a little add in on the hell we've been through me and my flock!
Now, I wake up to a7 well old chick this morning who can't hold her head up, can't stand but a couple seconds on her hocks. I started a new thread for that just before updating and replying to these others. Holy heck I can't take no more I'm emotionally dead!

Thank you so much for your advice. All is appreciated! I lost my lil boy (bantam roo) May 2nd, when we took him in along with bossy because just a few days prior he was walking a lil oddly, then walking odd n slow. I checked him over, felt for anything abnormal with his bones, and only thing I could figure was I needed to remove the sheath from his spur as it w had gotten so long it was rubbing against his other foot/leg as he took each step, so we soaked him in Epsom salt to get it soft surrounding his spur (same process we always did 3 times prior), twist back n forth gently at the very base and if it comes off really easily (after the 1st couple times), then we blukote and wrap it. No problems what do ever. However, between then and the 2 days till very visit, he couldn't at all walk, barely stand for a few minutes like 2-3 minutes at as time! Still eating and drinking like a piggy, having poops and all Else was entirely normal. I still couldn't feel any reason why. Took him in with bossy and very couldn't feel anything either so did X-ray of him as well and he had a broken femur. I said oh thank goodness then it can be fixed and he'll be ok (he's the love of my life!!!) Vet said no Kathy, the break is way to high, he will have to be put down. I lost it then and there still can't deal today with this loss. Anyhow just a little add in on the hell we've been through me and my flock!
Now, I wake up to a7 well old chick this morning who can't hold her head up, can't stand but a couple seconds on her hocks. I started a new thread for that just before updating and replying to these others. Holy heck I can't take no more I'm emotionally dead!
Yes, sometimes it all seems just too much.
Have good bear hug

1715371053042.jpeg

Wait you lost me...
No, I lost you for a minute at first. Sauerkraut is high in probiotics as it's fermented. I spoke too soon and corrected what I meant when you asked how much.

If chickens actually eat this stuff on a regular basis, then I'd guess a tablespoon or so per day is plenty to give them the probiotic benefits. It's high in salt so that's why I'd not give them a huge dish of it. For my fermented grains, that's got way more nutrients in it, plus probiotics and prebiotics, and even with that, I don't let them gorge themselves as they need room to eat bugs and their own food.

For yours, for the idea of it helping to coat the screw, like @LaFleche said and as I corrected myself, as much as you can get her to eat.

As to how to get her to eat it, I think I'd first drain it the best I could, then mix it in some Greek yogurt, or...

I'd mix up some eggs in a bowl, add the drained sauerkraut, then fry it, or...

(the least healthy) make some pancake batter, mix the drained saurkraut in it, and make some pancakes.

As to how to get her to eat it, I think I'd first drain it the best I could, then mix it in some Greek yogurt, or...

I'd mix up some eggs in a bowl, add the drained sauerkraut, then fry it, or...

(the least healthy) make some pancake batter, mix the drained saurkraut in it, and make some pancakes.
Personally, I would start by offering some plain. If she eats it, that is by far the easiest way to do it.

If she doesn't seem interested plain, then I'd try one of those ideas.

Back
Top Bottom