1 yr. old hen - lethargic, runny green poop, xrays show pieces of something

Cautiously optimistic here. Yesterday, I pushed a lot of electrolyte water and did the crop massage. By the evening, Etta was a menace...in a good chicken way! Tipping everything over and making a total mess. Our cat, who she seemed mildly worried about the past few days, got absolutely YELLED at last night with full chicken warning noises. (The cat is not allowed near her, but passes through the room occasionally on the way to his litter box. He has not been that interested in her, so he's not there causing stress on an ongoing basis.)

This morning, crop is empty, she had firmer poops all day yesterday and overnight (still pretty green, but maybe that is from her lack of food the past few days?). I have straw in her dog kennel and she's chickening - scratching around looking for food. I still have not seen her drink on her own, so that will be a big step forward if/when that happens.

Do you have any advice on how long to keep her quarantined? I think she's pretty bored in her kennel (the straw and peeking is helping this morning). I was thinking if she stays as active as she is today (and messy!), maybe she needs to go back with her flock soon.

From your experience, and what I described about her symptoms, do you have any advice if this turnaround is real?

I assume egg laying will be delayed due to her illness. Should I expect her to lay at a certain time and, if she does not, be concerned?

I'm going to call the vet today, but really appreciate your advice too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom