Please help...Screw found in hens xray!

Pics

KClivlaughlove

Chirping
Jul 4, 2023
Hello again all! I took my bossy into the vet for an entirely different reason anyhow had an x-ray done thankfully it X-rays the whole body because they're so small and unfortunately (separate from the original reason why I took her in) x-ray revealed a screw and a staple. I'll attach images of the x-rays. I've read many posts on here where their hands have swollen screws and other odd objects and some have been happy endings and some have been sad endings. Any information I would be so very grateful for and I thank you in advance. BTW... bossy's vet doesn't have much experience when it comes to chickens. He has his own flock. And he is a vet, but he deals in cats, dogs, horses and cows. So after we found the screw and the staple he had asked that I do what I do best research research research to come up with some possible options. He stated that if I'm unable to locate something or someone who is capable and or willing to remove it then he will as he stated he's removed plenty from cats and dogs. My response to that was yeah but the chickens anatomy is entirely different and he agreed but said he's willing to make an attempt.
First 2 pics are her laying on her back.
2nd 2 pics are her laying on her right side.
Peterson, Kathy (3).png
Screenshot_20240424-134928_Chrome.jpg
Peterson, Kathy (2).png
Screenshot_20240424-134601_Chrome.jpg

In case the screw and staple are still located in the digestive tract, you can feed her lots of natural sauerkraut as it will wrap around the object thus preventing cuts and injuries while helping to expel the foreign objects.

I had very good experience in doing so with my dogs, after a few days the sharp and long objects they had ingested were excreted totally wrapped in sauerkraut.

Just drain the can of sauerkraut into a colander and give it a rinse, that will take a lot of the salt out if you are worried about it.

It would be good if the sauerkraut works. While yes, a bird may be able to live with a screw, staples, pieces of metal stuck in the gizzard, body, etc. Sounds well and good but over time the break down of the metal can and often does lead to heavy metal toxicity.
With poultry, this is called "Hardware Disease"
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/10/14/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/

I've been watching her poop and there's been no bloody poop what so ever. That x-ray was just done yesterday later evening around 5ish pm mtn time.
For the longest time she had no interest in food, her favorite treats, or even in water so i actually had to tube feed her a couple of times. And she had interest in her favorite treats...which we provided cucumber tomato watermelon blueberries and a couple of other things I can't recall off the top of my head...but now she's eating regular food and drinking a lot of water on her own. Her stools have become more as they're supposed to be then they have been in a long time. And the last couple of days she's been fighting me to go back out with the flock and free range and that's not any other but I refuse to allow her because she's been away from him for so long now that it's just nearly a fight when she comes close in contact with any of them and I don't need her any further injured than she already is or could be.

Did the vet say if the hardware is in the crop or in the gizzard? If the staple and screw are in the gizzard, no, they will not pass out. If they are in the crop, surgery might be able to retrieve them.
He did not say but if you look at the one picture where it's blown up you can see it's past her gizzard into her intestines I believe is but that is. And her bum has been puckered out for some time now.

I will ask @Wyorp Rock who might be able to remember that thread of the screw coming through the skin. If anyone else does remember it, let us know. I had suggested that the cut off the tip of the screw that was piercing the skin, to make it less sharp.
Would it be this one?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i’m-thinking-this-isn’t-going-to-turn-out-okay.1324428/

(I did a search for the word "screw" in posts by you, and then looked through the pages of results until I found something similar to what you had mentioned.)

In case the screw and staple are still located in the digestive tract, you can feed her lots of natural sauerkraut as it will wrap around the object thus preventing cuts and injuries while helping to expel the foreign objects.

I had very good experience in doing so with my dogs, after a few days the sharp and long objects they had ingested were excreted totally wrapped in sauerkraut.
Natural sauerkraut??? Where would I find that and what exactly would it be called just natural sauerkraut? Regular grocery store or do I need to go somewhere special?

Back
Top Bottom