Placing chicks with a hen who's brooding

Sheeba

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2018
South Central MO
Hi All; Does anyone know if you can place chicks in pen with a hen who is setting? She just started brooding about 5 days ago and a friend of mine brought over 1 and 5 day old chicks yesterday. I am hoping I can place those chicks on the pen area with the hen.
Thanks for all advice in advance! Sheeba

She's sitting on real eggs and has been for about 5-6 days now. Still think it's okay?
Yes, but it might be tricky with the older chicks.

I went in late at night when it was pitch black. I didn't use any light (as per suggestions from more experienced people). I took the eggs from under my broody and put the chick (I only had 1 chick) under. I stayed around for a while to make sure she didn't attack it. Then I went out again pre-dawn and watched. My broody accepted the chick right away. I watched VERY closely all day to make sure nothing bad happened.

My broody was in my isolation pen in the coop under the poop board so the other pullets wouldn't bother her. Is yours separated?

I doubt that you can leave her with those eggs and expect her to brood chicks at the same time.
They say that the longer the hen has been broody, and the younger the chicks are, the better chance for success. Be prepared to brood them yourselves if it doesn't work.

Yes, but it might be tricky with the older chicks.

I went in late at night when it was pitch black. I didn't use any light (as per suggestions from more experienced people). I took the eggs from under my broody and put the chick (I only had 1 chick) under. I stayed around for a while to make sure she didn't attack it. Then I went out again pre-dawn and watched. My broody accepted the chick right away. I watched VERY closely all day to make sure nothing bad happened.

My broody was in my isolation pen in the coop under the poop board so the other pullets wouldn't bother her. Is yours separated?
Yes, she is separated from other hens so I will do this tonight then - in the dark :) Thanks so much.

I doubt that you can leave her with those eggs and expect her to brood chicks at the same time.
They say that the longer the hen has been broody, and the younger the chicks are, the better chance for success. Be prepared to brood them yourselves if it doesn't work.
Oh, okay, I am prepared! Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom