Pet rooster diet

liver

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2021
Hi, in August of last year, I unexpectedly took in four young roosters. Though I have experience with birds and had always been interested in chickens, I didn't anticipate taking them on any time soon, and have spent so much time researching and trying things to the best of my ability. I estimate that they were probably 2 to 3 months old at the time that I found them. I contacted everyone possible in my area, posted in every local online group, and people only offered me two options: I eat them, or they'll eat them for me.

Instead, I've done my best to take care of these boys as my family, and I want to make sure to give them the longest, healthiest lives possible. I could spent hours writing about them here, but the main point of this thread is to discuss options and ideas about feeding roosters long-term as lifelong pets instead of for food, breeding, or fighting. I've spent hours and hours reading every thread that I can find here on feeding roosters, and have found no definitive option yet.

I have tried many different feeds and tried to carefully observe their health and behaviors, as well as what they will eat or refuse to eat. but I want to make sure that I'm doing the best possible. Currently, they eat DuMOR 16% Layer Crumble, have access to both insoluble and soluble grit (they don't really eat either), Grubblies, live mealworms, fresh salad that I chop up daily (varies, but usually includes a spring lettuce mix, arugula, some spinach, fresh corn on the cob, ripe tomatoes, wild blueberries, blackberries, fresh peppers, frozen peas, and whatever else that's chicken-safe that I have at any given time), unlimited access to my garden and they go absolutely crazy for my radish greens all day every day (this is their favorite food, by a long shot) and young broccoli sprouts, scratch (corn, wheat berries, oats, amaranth, quinoa, wild rice, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, kelp, nutritional yeast), sometimes I give them cooked oatmeal and other treats, too. I sometimes add Rooster Booster to their water, and I'm looking into different or better water add-ins. I have not dewormed them or given them any medicine, except for Vetericyn and Blu-Kote when two got into a fight. I have different medical supplies and tools on hand in case, including different antibiotics, miticides, Fenbendazole, Ivermectin.

They have definite preferences in what they eat and who gets first dibs on what foods. I've begun to separate them when I'm not at home, though, so I make sure that they each will have individual access to what they miss if they're bullied out of certain foods when all together. They seem to be doing well with their current setup, but on my own, I currently don't have the knowledge, experience, let alone the equipment and education to actually know for sure how to optimize their diet for the longest-term health and longevity. Thank you everyone for reading this whole thing and for any contributions that I might get. I have many questions and some observations of my own after unexpectedly became a chicken owner eight months ago, and I'm trying my best to be as responsible as possible. These guys are my family, and I only want the best for them

Layer feed is not suggested for roosters as they don't need the extra calcium. I think Purina Flock Raiser would be the best choice in the long run. With the grit, they will eat it when they need it. It's always good to have it available but they don't eat it very often.

Treats should only make up 10% of their diet so make sure they aren't getting to much.

Are they being raised with hens? I don't think it is necessary to separate them unless they are actively fighting. Sure, they get into the occasional squabble but bachelor flocks do pretty well.

Last edited:
have access to both insoluble and soluble grit (they don't really eat either)
Soluble grit is generally a source of calcium (oyster shell or similar).

Your roosters should not need to eat any of that-- they are never going to lay any eggs, so no need for extra calcium to produce the shell.

Leaving it available will probably not do any harm, but there is no need either, so I suggest you remove it. (One less thing to buy, one less dish to refill.)

Thanks everyone for the contributions so far! I have tried both commercial flock raisers that I have found locally, with little success. The reason why I have stuck with the 16% layer crumble for a few months is that it's the only commercial feed that they have taken to consistently. I kind of don't trust that the local mill-produced feeds that we have here are fresh and nutritionally balanced, and it killed all bugs that would eat it, which really freaked me out. The bugs seemed to me to be poisoned-- spinning in circles on their backs, convulsing.

I might have to order a feed without the added calcium online. Probably one of the reasons why I've had a hard time finding an appropriate feed at stores locally is that everyone that I know has advised me against having roosters, so maybe the stores around here just are reluctant to carry all-flock or flock raiser because it would sit on the shelf unsold. Concerning the grit, I bought one bag of oyster shell grit and one bag of granite grit, and still haven't used it all. They typically just kick or scratch it around and it disappears into the soil. I likely won't buy any more, but I will still keep the remainder on hand.

They are not raised with hens, just my four boys. Though, there are some hens nearby, within a half-mile radius, and they call back and forth sometimes! I only recently separated them when I'm gone to be safe because two got into a fight and I had to apply Vetericyn and Blu-Kote to their combs and the backs of their heads. I still don't know what started that fight, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. They get along fine when out and about all day long, with the occasional squabble like SilverBirds mentioned. Actually, the de factor leader typically will side-step anyone that is doing anything embarrassing or not in line with the flock before it ever has to escalate to a peck. Leading up to the fight, the two in question had begun doing what I call the mirror game leading up to a fight, but the leader would always step in and they'd instantly back off. The leader is a Black Australorp and the other three are Rhode Island Reds. When they all sleep at night, usually the leader is facing the opposite direction on the perch, and he's the last one to get up there for the night, patrolling the grounds while everyone else gets settled in. I'm so proud of him, he's so protective of them.

Back
Top Bottom