Pasty Butt vs a Little Poop on the Behind

I just had to deal with this with two of my E.E. chicks. I'd been checking every two days, but noticed it this evening. It wasn't a full-on coverage of poo over their vents, but some hardened nastiness under their vents. One had more than the other. I put the two with the issue into a little box with the same pine shavings as in their brooder, brought them into our small bathroom, and ran warm water over one's tush until the pool broke up & fell off, then did the other.
Boy, for being only 10 days old, those ladies have PIPES!
Afterwards, I used my blow drier on each of their backsides (one at a time, of course), keeping the warm air waving across the box the other was in, so neither chick got cold. One of them calmed down once the drier was on her and she was perched on my finger, directly over the box, in front of the mirror. She really seemed to enjoy it there!
Once they were both clean & dry, I brought them back to their brooder (although they only wanted to eat, instead). They seem content to be back with their flock, and then thankfully, none of the other birds seem affected by P.B., or noticed or cared that the two 'stepped out for a bit'.

I've also found that keeping the chicks a little cooler than recommended is better for preventing PB. If I find even a few sticky butt feathers, though, I will take the chick into the bathroom, turn on the warm water, and wet my fingers, using them to moisten the stickiness until it comes clean - because those sticky feathers are going to accumulate poo until it's a problem. Best to nip it in the bud! And since this procedure only results in a few wet feathers instead of a half-soaked chick, I blow the feathers dry like my momma used to blow my hot soup cool - with my mouth! No need to break out the blow dryer at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom