Overstock Sale on 5-gallon Bucket Feeder Kit at Amazon, reduced 50% to $6.49!

...and the deal no longer available. It is short live.

Well, I have Amazon Prime. I just checked the deal at the time of this posting and it still is showing up on my pages....

1700451907038.png

I don't know if Amazon treats Prime members differently, but I can still get this deal for $6.49. But I don't expect this overstock deal to last very long, so if anyone is interested in trying this, you might want to order it now and then return it later if you don't like it. Like I said, I made my own DIY chicken feeder for a 5-gallon bucket and you cannot buy all these items at this price.

BTW, my brother knows I have Amazon Prime and sometimes he asks me to order him something and have it shipped to him. If you know someone who has Amazon Prime, that might be an option for you as well.

Back in the day when I was not yet an Amazon Prime member, I would add things to my Amazon Wish List and have them sitting there for a quick purchase if something went on sale, like this overstock feeder kit sale. Just add the special sale item(s) and fill up the order with your Wish List items until you get over that $35.00 minimum order.

My flock manages to spill some feed with this type of feeder. I bought a couple inexpensive large plastic trays at a dollar store, and placed the feeder on top of one of the trays. It catches almost everything they manage to flick out of the feeder. The second tray is for when the first breaks.
:pop

View attachment 3687486

That looks like a good idea to catch the spillage. These feeders significantly reduced my spillage, but they are not 100% spill proof.

Do you have problems with mice climbing into the feeder sitting on top of those bricks? I suspend my 5-gallon bucket feeder on a chain to prevent mice from getting in. It is available 24/7. But maybe it's not necessary to suspend the bucket if you don't have any problems.

Also, my DIY PVC 5-gallon bucket feeder does not have plugs. I know some people only let their chickens eat a certain time of the day and then close off the feeder. I am of the school of thought that my chickens do better with food and water available 24/7. I should probably add my chickens are laying hens and not meat chickens. That might make a difference.

Good deal... I don't have Prime and can't order under $35. Unfortunately, I wait for the daughter to be out the shower so she can order through student account and the deal no longer available. It is short live.

Well, like I said, the feeder kit still shows up on that overstock sale for $6.49 for me, an Amazon Prime Member. Just wanted to mention that often times if I miss out on a special deal at Amazon, I'll just add that product to my Wish List. Sometimes that sale might come back. I have received a few notices from Amazon on items in my Wish List that went on sale for a lower price and then I might buy it at that time. I have saved some money doing that on items that I would like to buy someday, but don't necessarily need to buy right now.

I have a few consumable items that I regularly stock up on, and I always have them on my Wish List. I typically wait for a good sale and then restock. It's nice when Amazon sends me out a notice of a price drop.

I have not looked up this kit, but want to make a few notes about this style feeder. I have installed my feeder ports on a plastic garbage can, so it holds food for a week with 30 chickens. It works great! The only thing is my larger waddled roos won't (or can't?) Stick their heads in. I put a bit of food in another feeder for them, but when I only had one roo he just ate what the hens spilled making it a true no waste feeder.

The only thing is my larger waddled roos won't (or can't?) Stick their heads in.

I don't have any roosters. But these are 3 inch PVC type elbows in that kit. You could easily go to the store and buy a 4 inch PVC elbow for the rooster. That would be bigger for him. I can't remember exactly what size PVC elbow I bought, 3 or 4 inch, for my DIY PVC bucket feeder, but here is the current price of the 4 inch PVC elbows at Menards....

1700537273716.png

Just wanted to add that I have my 4-port bucket feeder hanging 24/7 inside the coop. I have 10 chickens. I don't think I have ever seen more than 1 or 2 hens at the feeder at a time. But I never let my feed run out. So, there is no fighting for food. They know there is always food available when they want it.

@gtaus triggered an idea with his 4" elbow post. There is no reason why all of the feeding stations have to be at the same height. If you have a mixed size flock, like some bantams and full sized birds for example, you can install them at different heights to allow for easier access for everyone. If they are all about the same size, then it is probably best to keep them at the same height.

That looks like a good idea to catch the spillage. These feeders significantly reduced my spillage, but they are not 100% spill proof.

Do you have problems with mice climbing into the feeder sitting on top of those bricks? I suspend my 5-gallon bucket feeder on a chain to prevent mice from getting in. It is available 24/7. But maybe it's not necessary to suspend the bucket if you don't have any problems.

Also, my DIY PVC 5-gallon bucket feeder does not have plugs. I know some people only let their chickens eat a certain time of the day and then close off the feeder. I am of the school of thought that my chickens do better with food and water available 24/7. I should probably add my chickens are laying hens and not meat chickens. That might make a difference.
I've not seen mice, though I have seen one Brown snake enter the hoop coop. They're small, about 8" long, and can slip right through the 1/2" HWC openings. They are no threat, they eat bugs.

@gtaus triggered an idea with his 4" elbow post. There is no reason why all of the feeding stations have to be at the same height. If you have a mixed size flock, like some bantams and full sized birds for example, you can install them at different heights to allow for easier access for everyone. If they are all about the same size, then it is probably best to keep them at the same height.
That's a good thought!

I'm at work, cleaning up after a catered event...look what I just SCORED!
IMG_20231121_075855370~2.jpg

It's not flimsy, either. :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom