I finally caved and bought the 'automatic' feeders/waterers

NameIwish

Chirping
Jan 27, 2023
I got the (orange*) "Chicken Feeder No Waste Automatic Poultry Feeder 12 Ports Kit 6 Chicken Feeders and 6 Water'r Set for $13.99 @ Amazon" And installed them in two old plastic buckets.
1714255389350.png
Set them up on blocks and the hens went right at it as if they'd ordered the things on the Coop Shopping Network. A bit leery of the cheap plastic 'cups' sticking out midst fifteen thirsty hens that don't care about infrastructure 'till its gone. But the cost was little and the potential utility great, so I just crossed me fingers.

But the parts fit together like they were meant to be - the holes (drilled with the included bit) were a gasket wider than snug so I've no idea why the gasket was included with the feeder parts. The bit included for the drinking cups was such a perfectly snug fit that I might not have needed the included gaskets to prevent leaking. I used them regardless and it's working fine.

DSC01061.JPG
I did have one issue., I hadn't saved the lids for all the plastic pails I've collected over the years - saved the one on the 6G water'r and it screws on tight. Perfect for the water'r. But couldn't find an old lid for the feeder bucket and had to resort to DIY and scrap materials.
My Bucket Lid (1).JPG
The idea was to cut a groove in a square piece of half-inch plywood that the lip of the plastic bucket might fit neatly into, then cut the excess corners away leaving a groovy flat disk that fit the bucket better than OJ's glove.

For this I needed to attach my trim router to one end of a two foot x four inch x 1/4" scrap of plastic roughly based upon a video of a fancier version:
and that was a project in and of itself.

Once the router trammel was complete, I cut (routed out) the groove and used the trammel to route an another 'groove' as deep as the plywood panel itself - effectively cutting out the lid with the lip.

It fit nicely, but, unlike the tops that come with these buckets of this, that or the other, my lid did not 'lock' in place and might easily be dislodged midst some altercation between members of the flock attempting to enforce a pecking order or to procreate.

Racking my brain (a rather rapid process given the limited cranial dimensions) I came up with a way to employ the bucket's intact wire handle as a locking device no Jersey Giant might rend asunder - see if you like it!

My Bucket Lid (2).JPG

I got the (orange*) "Chicken Feeder No Waste Automatic Poultry Feeder 12 Ports Kit 6 Chicken Feeders and 6 Water'r Set for $13.99 @ Amazon" And installed them in two old plastic buckets.
Set them up on blocks and the hens went right at it as if they'd ordered the things on the Coop Shopping Network. A bit leery of the cheap plastic 'cups' sticking out midst fifteen thirsty hens that don't care about infrastructure 'till its gone. But the cost was little and the potential utility great, so I just crossed me fingers.

But the parts fit together like they were meant to be - the holes (drilled with the included bit) were a gasket wider than snug so I've no idea why the gasket was included with the feeder parts. The bit included for the drinking cups was such a perfectly snug fit that I might not have needed the included gaskets to prevent leaking. I used them regardless and it's working fine.
I did have one issue., I hadn't saved the lids for all the plastic pails I've collected over the years - saved the one on the 6G water'r and it screws on tight. Perfect for the water'r. But couldn't find an old lid for the feeder bucket and had to resort to DIY and scrap materials.
The idea was to cut a groove in a square piece of half-inch plywood that the lip of the plastic bucket might fit neatly into, then cut the excess corners away leaving a groovy flat disk that fit the bucket better than OJ's glove.

For this I needed to attach my trim router to one end of a two foot x four inch x 1/4" scrap of plastic roughly based upon a video of a fancier version:
and that was a project in and of itself.

Once the router trammel was complete, I cut (routed out) the groove and used the trammel to route an another 'groove' as deep as the plywood panel itself - effectively cutting out the lid with the lip.

It fit nicely, but, unlike the tops that come with these buckets of this, that or the other, my lid did not 'lock' in place and might easily be dislodged midst some altercation between members of the flock attempting to enforce a pecking order or to procreate.

Racking my brain (a rather rapid process given the limited cranial dimensions) I came up with a way to employ the bucket's intact wire handle as a locking device no Jersey Giant might rend asunder - see if you like it!

What a neat idea to lock the bucket!

What a neat idea to lock the bucket!
Thank you. I did find lids for $2.99 but only after I'd solved my problem.

I do find the hens strew an awful lot of the cracked corn about in the process of pecking out the bits they do consume!

I think that's the exact port feeder and waterer kit I brought! It was probably the cheapest way to get larger feeders for my expanded flock and it works great! I just wouldn't use the feeder with crumbles as that seems it could get messy. Thankfully I hate crumbles so it hasn't been an issue

Great job!

We use the horizontal nipples for our 5-gallon coop waterer but either ones sure keep the water clean and coop drier. Plus, no water on the wattles in the winter which can cause frostbite. (We keep our coop heated to 40F so it doesn't freeze).

We put about 1/2 teaspoon of RV Water Freshener in ours as with just 14 or so silkies, ours will last a month and get scummy otherwise.

I just wouldn't use the feeder with crumbles
I buy a couple bags of crumbles with five bags of CC and mix them a bit as I transfer them to my (rat proof?) feed storage barrels. Then, when I refill the feeder I get a mix of the two. I pay about ten bucks for the CC and eleven for the Crumbles or pellets and think I'm treating them with 'the spensive stuff.'

Back
Top Bottom