ohio coops

SophieLain127

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
I'm in ohio and come across some snags while building my coop. So all you ohioians out there can you show me a few pics of your coop inside and out. Thanks

Hi Sophie and
welcome-byc.gif
!!! I'm too lazy to head outside right now, but we built our coop in the garage. We just walled off a corner and framed it in with a half wall and then chicken wire to the rafters on the long side, then we recycled an interior door on the short side. I just leave the side door to the garage open during the day and they can roam the back yard and still access their coop. At night I close them in. They are fine during the winter with no heat/heat lamp.

Thats really awesome. Winterizing is my biggest concern. I live in columbus and I have to get a permit as well as approve in order to have chickens.

You do?? Wow. Well, we've found that they are hardier than you'd think as long as they are old enough by the time winter hits. Our roo did get some frostbite on his comb and they were inside all winter. We read after the fact about putting vaseline on the combs/wattles to prevent that. Mine were hatched in June, laying by October and did ok in the cold.

They said that the process can take weeks or months so I'm going to try and get my coop going in the next two weeks and then by then I should have my paperwork and I can hopefully get my chicks by June. It's a pain of a process but I really want chickens..lol

You can see my coop on My Page here. I'm thinking mine was plenty tight for winter and may need a couple more ventilation holes, even though I have 5 windows I can open in summer and that are not sealed tight in winter. I have foam sheet insulation on 3 walls, but I'm not sure it was necessary.

The birds are hearty, especially if you get breeds with small combs and that were developed in northern climates.

My roo got frostbite this winter, but it could have been from moisture in the coop and the need for even more ventilation.

I just advise having a way to plug in a heated waterer. That will save you and the chickens the most grief. If you feel the need on the minus nights, try leaving a heat lamp on for them. But the more chickens you have, the more they will survive on shared body heat.

Oh yes - I agree. Frozen water is the worst part. I will definitely get a heated waterer before next winter. That's the other bonus about having it in the garage - there's an outlet in the coop so I can use a heat lamp or waterer if needed.

Also true that the more birds, the more heat. I do have a friend who lives a few streets over. She built a coop in her backyard with an attached run - no electricity at all and she's got 6 hens and they were just fine. I'd say no less than 6 just to be on the safe side.

I've decided that the best way to go is to get a solar panel from Harbor Freight a sort of discount place for tools and hardware. They have one that is designed for a security light but I've found instructions on converting for your own use. So it is only 5 watts and I've found a water heater that only uses about a watt. I 'm going to rig that up so I don't have to run any electricity. If I put in some sort of insulation I think that will suffice.

the website I got the info off of was wrong... apparently it takes more then a watt. but I will still be using a solar panel I'll just keep checking on websites...I'm kinda of dissappointed.

Is there another way to keep your water from freezing besides using an electric heater?

Back
Top Bottom