Help! Not 100% it is a lash egg

TxBackyardChic

Hatching
May 6, 2024
I found my girl yesterday morning with this out her vent. I looked online to find an answer and someone suggested lash egg. I picked her up and tried to dislodge it, but it felt firm like a squish ball and to have some veins in it. I have removed her from the flock and soaked her twice now in epsom salts for 20 minutes. A lot of poop was dislodged, but she still has this attached. She is not eating or drinking much. I have tried to pull it out, but it seems to be attached. I worry that it is part of her inside, but it might be a lash egg. Help!!
20240505_194333.jpg
20240505_194340.jpg

Attachments

• 20240505_194414.jpg
    20240505_194414.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
It's hard to know by the photos what it is but definitely the soaking helped and would probably continue to help you determine if it is indeed attached. If so, it may be a prolapsed vent.

Here's a great article about it if that is what it is.

If she starts straining at all, I'd give her calcium citrate with D3 and that'd cause contractions so she can lay her egg easier.

Good luck with your girl!

Thank you! Yes, it is a prolapsed vent that is torn. A portion of it has gone back inside, but the rest is still outside. From what I have read, I think the best thing is to cull her. Unless anyone knows what else I can do.

Attachments

• 20240507_000107.jpg
    20240507_000107.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 8
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your hen.

Hard to know if you need to cull her or not. That's up to you, you are there to best access the extent of the damage.

Treating and correcting a prolapse can take time and commitment, so do consider this if you wish to treat her.

Start by giving her a good soaking in a warm epsom salts bath. You can trim some of the fluff away from the exposed tissue if necessary.
Slather on some oil, ointment, vaseline, honey, etc. Keep the tissue moist.

It looks like she has a crust over the exposed tissue. This can be helpful, but it's also going to keep the tissue from going back in. Keep the crust coated with your ointment/oil too. It will probably start to slough off and the tissue underneath will likely bleed some too. Don't pull or tug on the crust, you risk pulling more tissue out, then you will have to cull.

Get calcium citrate with D3 into her once daily. Feed her her normal feed and keep her hydrated.

If you feel this is beyond repair or if she's suffering terribly, then putting her out of her misery certainly is the thing to do. I don't want to make you feel you have to try to treat her or you must cull.

I've had prolapses go either way, I've had to cull and I've also been able to correct them.

It's a prolapse.
Don't cull her!!!!! I give it sometime and sometimes it goes in on its own, other times with help. Most of mine have went back in when they laid an egg the next day.

It's a prolapse.
Don't cull her!!!!! I give it sometime and sometimes it goes in on its own, other times with help. Most of mine have went back in when they laid an egg the next day.
I don't want to! It makes feel sick at the idea, but she pecked at it and now it is ripped in 2. She appears just fine, but not eating much and acting better after 3rd bath. I edited my post with a new picture.

She is still with me. I can't get a good picture, but this morning almost her entire vent has gone back inside of her and she is back to her fiesty self. Since she doesn't appear to be in pain, I am slow in making a decision.
That's good!

I'd continue with care and see how it goes.

Do you happen to have any antibiotics on hand?

Back
Top Bottom