Need help with moving lash egg out of hen

chicksnhummers

In the Brooder
May 29, 2018
GRAPHIC PHOTOS!
We have a 6 month old hen that has a lash egg stuck in her cloaca. How can I help it come out? I can feel a large egg shaped mass behind the coagulated pus showing. I've given numerous warm baths with Epsom salt and tried squeezing it out. She's pushing but it won't come. This is her 2nd day. Anyone with experience in this matter please advise. Thank you
20230125_110542.jpg

GRAPHIC PHOTOS!
We have a 6 month old hen that has a lash egg stuck in her cloaca. How can I help it come out? I can feel a large egg shaped mass behind the coagulated pus showing. I've given numerous warm baths with Epsom salt and tried squeezing it out. She's pushing but it won't come. This is her 2nd day. Anyone with experience in this matter please advise. Thank youView attachment 3386033
She's on the verge of prolapse, and it may still happen.. sometimes it can be recovered from.

Looks more like a regular egg within a membrane of another.. more like a new layer reproductive hiccup with the egg being too large.. still binding and deadly fast but less worrying than a bound but also lash egg.

Have you lubed it up with anything? Keep her in the dark on a warm moist pad.

I'd try breaking the egg and getting it out before fully writing her off.. Maybe @azygous has better feedback (in addition to others who've already been tagged).

Sorry you both are facing this, 48 hours is a long time to not be passing any waste.. Is she drinking or coherent at all?

Have you give her calcium? Since the egg is trapped in the cloaca, it may be a bit late, but worth a try. Give a calcium tablet of at least 600mg into her beak. She must also have water to drink.

Keep the membrane moist by squirting warm water on it. Try to insert the syringe inside the outer membrane to get fluid inside to increase the elasticity. Keep trying to coax the egg out by gently massaging the vent tissue. Having the room steamy can also help.

Back
Top Bottom