Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Five new chicks !
Not really. Four new chicks of which three will will stay at the field. You've been reading that chicken math article where people cant count.:D

I wonder if you saved the little late chick because you are getting softer with time,
Nope.:lol: If the person who took the chick had said no it would be dead now.
If mums abandon chicks there is a problem. Sometimes the problem isn't apparent until the chick gets older. Sometimes, especially with badly staggered hatches the mum knows the late hatchers are not going to be able to keep up and will probably die anyway.

Great update. I'd've been your wisty-eyed victim in that story.

Rules are meant to be broken. Unless you're a rat breaking Fret's Zero Rodent policy, which she's evidently serious about.

Interesting diversity of color. Seems like 2 of the chicks got looks from the Legbar-mix side this time.
The yellow chick is big for it's hatch time so I think it may be Fret and Henry's. I think the other two may be from Mow's eggs.

I used to walk her back and always wondered why she would fly away but not fly back.:confused:
I wonder, if she used her charm and cute little wagging duck tail to charm food out of someone in the village, and was a little too heavy to fly back? Kind of like my visiting Muscovie, Elvis Duck, who now visits every few days to partake of some grains.

I wonder, if she used her charm and cute little wagging duck tail to charm food out of someone in the village, and was a little too heavy to fly back? Kind of like my visiting Muscovie, Elvis Duck, who now visits every few days to partake of some grains.
I think she did it to make me do more exercise.:p

If mums abandon chicks there is a problem. Sometimes the problem isn't apparent until the chick gets older. Sometimes, especially with badly staggered hatches the mum knows the late hatchers are not going to be able to keep up and will probably die anyway.
I was so glad that Martha never rejected Little Chick after he was injured, twice. Although he's a little smaller he's acting like the others now, no more crying.
IMG_20240517_201829325~2.jpg

⬆️⬆️ LC is on the left.

Warm, dry with sunny spells.
P5190787.JPG

Guess what.:lol: Yep, Mow's gone broody. She's been watching Fret. She doesn't really know enough to sit and hatch yet. She was out most of the day and about an hour before roost time she headed for hte nest and sat all fluffed up and swearing at anyone who got close. I lifted her off the nest, took the eggs away and placed her on a perch. Next time I will try and let her sit but in the space they have there is just not enough room for two broodies at a time.:love

It took me two and a half hours to get to the field today. The Bristol marathon was on and for some reason they run down the main road that links the city to the area the field is in. Of course they shut the road and diverted all the traffic up and down some of the stupidest routes. The end result was chaos. The buses that did run didn't run on time and GWR the train company cancelled most of their services on the one day they should have run more trains than usual.:he

P5190778.JPG
P5190779.JPG
P5190781.JPG
P5190783.JPG
P5190785.JPG
P5190785.JPG
P5190786.JPG

Back
Top Bottom