Newie Question

CharlestonChick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 14, 2007
Charleston, SC
Hi everyone!
DH and I are thinking of getting chicks this spring, but are unsure if we're allowed to have them. We live outside city limits, but within a suburban area. We have a medium sized yard and the perfect spot for a coop and run - we are ready to start building, but want to make sure our butts are covered in terms of being allowed to have chickens. Who do I call to check legality issues? I don't want to get chickens and then realize I can't have them!
Any help would be appreciated.
smile.png

Thanks,
Svenja

I would suggest city hall. If you are alowed I would avoid a rooster. The constant crowing can get on people's nerves. Bantams would be nice for a small area but be aware bantams are excellent fliers lol. Good luck

I got my first chicks last spring....and went through all the concerns that you are.

I decided to be very pro-active and called the animal control officer in our town. She couldn't have been nicer. They do love it when you "ask before doing". She let me know where on the property that coops could be placed (how far from our house and the neighbors' houses that it had to be). We were told that there were no rules on roosters...but that animals/birds come not be allowed to annoy the neighbors or go in the street (so no free ranging). We do have a couple of pretty vocal roosters, but no one has complained as yet. And they have crabbed about our dogs' barking which is very rare...so they must like poultry!

We were also told that the town requires an annual "barn" check if you keep animals/birds. We had that in the fall...and the fellow that came had been keeping chickens since he was 5....said that he had never seen a nice set up and that if anyone complained about out rooster(s)...he and the animal contraol officer would "go to bat for us"...so it does help to approach this in an open way with the town.

Good luck!! It's been one of the best things that I've ever gotten involved with!

Karen

Unless they're Silkies, they can't fly worth a flip.

If you are in not a resident of the City but live in out in the County check with County on what the regs are. If you live in where there is an HOA that would be your first step. They will be the ones to prevent it no matter what the County or City has on their books.

Check your County Regulations here are mine for my area,
Q: What are the regulations regarding keeping of fowl and livestock (chickens, pigs, horses, pigeons etc)?
A: The property must be zoned for incidental agriculture and have a net area of 10,000 sq. feet or more.

I checked with the county on code enforcement I found out that I can keep roosters and hens and there are no restrictions on the amount, which surprised me. Here your property must meet a minimum of 10,00 sq.ft. to keep chickens and roosters. I saw nothing that stated the coop has to be further than 100 feet from my home. It did state it must be zoned for incidental agriculture which is row crop cultivation and animal husbandry other than kennels, hog farms, feedlots, and the keeping of pets, provided the activity is conducted on a hobby type basis for personal use or consumption and further provided that such activity is not a primary use of the premises. Accessory structures for such uses include, but are not limited to, any stable, shed, corral, coop, hutch, pen or similar structure, which is related to incidental agriculture use of premises.

Wow! Thanks for the help everyone! Now I at least know where to get started.
DH and I have been talking about this since we started dating, so we've been thinking about it for a while, obviously. We bought our house two years ago and feel like it's time to add the chickens. DH wants Silkies (for the cuteness-factor) and I want Aracaunas, the latter are sold locally. I don't want a rooster, but I know it's going to be hard to get a Silkie around here, let alone a Silkie pullet! DH doesn't want more than 2 chickens, I want at least 4. We still have some talking to do before we make any final decisions, obviously.
Well, we'll see.

Edited to add:
I just got a call back from animal control and was informed that there are in fact NO regulations in my area. I could even have roosters if I wanted (I don't think I want to). As long as the chickens aren't walking down the road, we're good!
I also called our feed store and found out they sell RIRs, black sex-links and aracaunas - pullets only for all breeds. DH is out of town, so we'll get started when he gets back. He will be sad about the Silkies though.
wink.png

Thanks again for all the help!
big_smile.png

Svenja

Last edited:
Congradulations CharlestonChick! There's nothing like a pretty chick to make your day!!

You might want to call your feed store back and ask them about ordering chicks. Most don't mind adding a special order on to the chicks they are ordering anyway. That way you could get your silkies too.

Congratulations!
I found out the hard way that I couldn't have roosters when the Health Dept knocked on the door and said I had a week to "get rid" of Jerry. It seems that in my town that roosters are considered "Noise Pollution", but barking dogs and loud stereos aren't...hmmmm...It wound up taking me 3 weeks to find a home for my baby and then I went to see him this year and he wasn't there.
sad.png
I'd been sending birthday cards and Xmas cards for him too...
I also need to be inspected by the Animal Control Officer once a year and pay $5 for a chicken license. I would've taken Jerry anyways, even if I HAD known because the chickens gave and give me such joy.
You could also try one of the local fairs, sometimes they have swap and sales. If you only want Pet Quality, that would be an easy place to get a Silkie or you could post on Buy Sell Trade or Giveaways.
And last but not least, WELCOME!!!!

Back
Top Bottom