New rooster!

crazychickenchick01

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2023
Hello everyone, my family just got a new rooster recently. We were able to introduce him to our mature hens and it went great. He has only been in the coop with them for 1 night now. My question is...since we let our chickens free roam, can he free roam with them or should we keep him in the coop for sometime before also letting him free roam? My husband and I have had chickens before but we are still novice in my opinion. Thank you for any answers and advice!

I humbly disagree. Unless he is not mature and they are trying to kill him. He will follow the ladies right in the coop, and then later tell them, what a wonderful place he found for his girls!

A year or so, I had kept a rooster for a month in quarantine... one afternoon, I let him out to free range while the girls were free ranging, and that night he was in their coop.

Mrs K

I humbly disagree. Unless he is not mature and they are trying to kill him. He will follow the ladies right in the coop, and then later tell them, what a wonderful place he found for his girls!

A year or so, I had kept a rooster for a month in quarantine... one afternoon, I let him out to free range while the girls were free ranging, and that night he was in their coop.

Mrs K
Good point.

He's unlikely to lead them astray! Consider letting them out later in the day, so there's motivation to go into the coop sooner. And do your girls come for treats when called? that's good too for the first few days.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom