New Chicken Mom of 14

LoveGodLoveOthers

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
My first chicken babies were born May 9th 2023 and they came to live with me on May 11th. They were 10 Sapphire Gem young ladies. My second batch of babies were born May 16th and came home to live with me May 20th. They are two Barred Rock and two Silver Laced Wyandotte young ladies.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I currently have 14 chickens. So far I have all the little girls that I started out with.

(3) What breeds do you have?
We have 10 Sapphire Gem, 2 Barred Rock, and 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love each and every one of them. They're my babies. I love their different personalities and when they fly up and sit on my shoulder. I love when they all line up when they know it's time to go in at night. Of course the eggs will be nice too but I just love having them around. When I got them it was a mixture of wanting them as companions and wanting them for eggs, as well as part of my dream of having a farm. I fell in love with them at first sight. Before they even got here I could not contain my excitement.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love being in the garden, growing interesting varieties and medicinal herbs. The homestead life is definitely for me. I just made out my first azure standard order and can't wait to start grinding grains to make my own breads. I love being able to go outside and pick a few leaves and using them to help heal my family. I also enjoyed taking care of people and lots of animals.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have three children but my oldest passed away last year way too young. I stay at home and homeschool my other two children. I also attend Liberty University Online and will be graduating this year. I am blessed to have a husband who supports all my eccentricity. We have 14 chickens, three cats, and 11 dogs.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I researched chicken keeping for quite some time before I actually got chickens. I found BYC through my countless Google searches. I finally decided to join because I yearn for a chicken keepers community. I love talking about chickens to other people who appreciate them as much as I do.

Back
Top Bottom