Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Flower
love.gif
your birds, are they dipsy goths?

I did hatch some chicks from DDD and once I hatched some from Kassaundra. But to tell the truth I am not scientific enough to keep records. I did start to keep records several years back but my personal life is too chaotic to continue. My flock is very mixed with Silver laced polish, a Dispy, a very old serama/NN who is my most faithful broody, two silkies and even a crested cream Brabanter who is also older but still lays 4-5 eggs a week. My secret is they get fed scrambled eggs and garden greens a few times a week. MY only rooster is a FM NN with rose comb. His personality is calm so he is a keeper. Just wish his crow was more melodic. ha ha

And I am pleased with the compliments.
love.gif

HOW would I produce an Line of " Sex Link " NN Bantams ? What Breed would be the most overall Successful. There has to be a way to project Female or Male Chicks By down/hatching Coloring !

If you have the time, this thread is loaded with wonderful information about genetics thanks to Kev and a few other well versed and studied persons. NN have a following of people who are interested in genetic information. I started to gather all of the post related to genetics but some how got sidetracked !

I just got notified that my wait list order for 15 Naked Necks from Ideal will be ready to ship on 9/9/15. I think I misread the website and thought they wouldn't have any until 2016. I currently have orders of Cornish crosses coming this fall, but am considering canceling those orders and taking the NNs instead. Given where I live, I think it's the best option long term to raise NNs for meat (and they're so tasty!)

While I'm happy to get eggs, my primary goal for a NN flock will be as meat. Can anyone with recents NNs from Ideal please comment on how they filled out (speed of growth as well as weight)? I need to make a decision on whether to take these or not - I'm thinking yes, but wanted to get weights from folks if possible before finalizing my decision.

Thanks!!!

- Ant Farm

Edit to add: I'm thinking of seeing if I can add New Hampshires and a few CXs to the order, and ultimately do NNxNH and maybe NNxCX crosses.

Last edited:
In general, my larger birds (NNs included) grow at about a pound per month. The NNs grow a little faster, so if you are looking for a 6 pound bird it would be about 5 months before they got that big. They may grow faster on a higher protein feed. Mine only get flock raiser and layer pellets (plus tons of free range). I have heard a lot of negative things about the Cornish so I would stick with the Turkens, but that is just my opinion.

In general, my larger birds (NNs included) grow at about a pound per month. The NNs grow a little faster, so if you are looking for a 6 pound bird it would be about 5 months before they got that big. They may grow faster on a higher protein feed. Mine only get flock raiser and layer pellets (plus tons of free range). I have heard a lot of negative things about the Cornish so I would stick with the Turkens, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks - very helpful. Did you get your NNs from Ideal?

- Ant Farm

No, I got them in a batch of mixed eggs I bought locally. Then I bred my own. My brown pullets are 4 months old now and are 4 pounds. I don't expect them to get very big though since their mom is a little legbar. My Marans turkens are a bit bigger, but also harder to catch so I haven't weighed them LOL

I just got notified that my wait list order for 15 Naked Necks from Ideal will be ready to ship on 9/9/15. I think I misread the website and thought they wouldn't have any until 2016. I currently have orders of Cornish crosses coming this fall, but am considering canceling those orders and taking the NNs instead. Given where I live, I think it's the best option long term to raise NNs for meat (and they're so tasty!)

While I'm happy to get eggs, my primary goal for a NN flock will be as meat. Can anyone with recents NNs from Ideal please comment on how they filled out (speed of growth as well as weight)? I need to make a decision on whether to take these or not - I'm thinking yes, but wanted to get weights from folks if possible before finalizing my decision.

Thanks!!!

- Ant Farm

Edit to add: I'm thinking of seeing if I can add New Hampshires and a few CXs to the order, and ultimately do NNxNH and maybe NNxCX crosses.

I didn't get my NNs from Ideal, but the first of my cockerels reached 1 lb by 4 weeks and topped 5 lbs by 14 weeks on 20 - 24% protein feed, no corn, no soy and no canola. I supplemented their feed with crushed hard boiled egg at least once per week for the first month, gave them apple cider vinegar in their water each day for the first month, and fed them lots of fresh organic kale and Swiss chard from my garden whenever I could (and still do). I've also fermented their feed, or at least soaked it overnight, and often added whey to it from the Greek yogurt my son likes to eat. The first (and smallest) cockerels that I butchered around 18 weeks processed out around 3.5 lbs., were pretty well muscled and very tasty with minimal excess fat.

Back
Top Bottom