Naked Neck/Turken Thread

HOW would I produce an Line of " Sex Link " NN Bantams ? What Breed would be the most overall Successful. There has to be a way to project Female or Male Chicks By down/hatching Coloring !

You would need have adults w/ a known color / pattern that is sex linked. Barring is one I believe, females chicks being darker and there being a difference is head spot size between male and female. I think the barring would follow though generationally.

The other way I can think of would be w/ the red / silver combo, kev or the other genetic gurus would have a more complete and accurate explanation, but basically you would need adults pure for each color, by gender (ie red females and silver males) their offspring would be sex linked at hatch by color HOWEVER those offspring will not be pure for either color and not be able to have sex linked offspring.

Howdy, folks! It was recommended that I join this thread - I'm doing CXs this fall, but am interested in Naked Necks for meat next year. They are so tasty, and I understand that they do better in the heat here in south Texas. I'm also interested in NN crosses for meat as well - I'm all over the place, but crosses I'm considering most strongly are NN x Cx, or NN x New Hampshire, maybe NN x Black Copper Maran (I may be getting those for the egg part of the operation). Or others... Interested in folks experiences. I was very verbose with my questions in this thread (I hope the link works):

post #1

But also, I was thinking that since S&G calls their NNs broilers, they probably have a very good meat bred group of birds. I'd love to get my NNs from them, but they have a minimum order of 100, which I think might be way too much for me/my backyard. Anyone in my general area interested in splitting an order with me next year?

(Off to catch up on this thread from the beginning...)

- Ant Farm

Howdy, folks! It was recommended that I join this thread - I'm doing CXs this fall, but am interested in Naked Necks for meat next year. They are so tasty, and I understand that they do better in the heat here in south Texas. I'm also interested in NN crosses for meat as well - I'm all over the place, but crosses I'm considering most strongly are NN x Cx, or NN x New Hampshire, maybe NN x Black Copper Maran (I may be getting those for the egg part of the operation). Or others... Interested in folks experiences. I was very verbose with my questions in this thread (I hope the link works):

post #1

But also, I was thinking that since S&G calls their NNs broilers, they probably have a very good meat bred group of birds. I'd love to get my NNs from them, but they have a minimum order of 100, which I think might be way too much for me/my backyard. Anyone in my general area interested in splitting an order with me next year?

(Off to catch up on this thread from the beginning...)

- Ant Farm

Broiler X NN She is growing like wildfire these past few months and is already larger than birds 4-6 months older than her.

Broiler X NN She is growing like wildfire these past few months and is already larger than birds 4-6 months older than her.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking' about!!!!
ep.gif

I have to say that I have never seen double yolker until few weeks ago. Hen died few days after she layed it. It may be connected somehow, but it was also very hot.

I have to say that I have never seen double yolker until few weeks ago. Hen died few days after she layed it. It may be connected somehow, but it was also very hot.

@Kassaundra pointed out, it is fairly common for pullets to produce multiple yolks in one egg shell but if it continues, it can be a sign of an unhealthy reproductive system.

Your chicken's situation could have been double whammied....dealing with the difficulty of dealing with multiple yolks with the added burden of oppressive heat. I'm wondering, did you necropsy the bird? I'm guessing NO but it would have been good to know what was the condition of her ovary and oviduct.

I hope you have no more bad luck but if something else happens and if your physical constitution will permit, check the bird out on the inside, even if you must enlist the help of others.

RON

@Kassaundra
  pointed out, it is fairly common for pullets to produce multiple yolks in one egg shell but if it continues, it can be a sign of an unhealthy reproductive system.  

Your chicken's situation could have been double whammied....dealing with the difficulty of dealing with multiple yolks with the added burden of oppressive heat.  I'm wondering, did you necropsy the bird?  I'm guessing NO but it would have been good to know what was the condition of her ovary and oviduct.  

I hope you have no more bad luck but if something else happens and if your physical constitution will permit, check the bird out on the inside, even if you must enlist the help of others.

RON

No, I didn't necropsy her. I am very squeamish. So squeamish I use different glass every time I drink something. So I think you understand why I didn't do it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom