Myoplasmosis in eggs

Somshine

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
I'm having a really hard time finding anything on this. Obviously this can be transmitted through a hen to her egg. But I can't find anything on these eggs hatching. If I were to buy eggs and have them shipped (considering) obviously there would be no way to test the eggs. Considering chicks stay in a brooder good biosecurity could keep it from my other chickens. My question is would this obviously show up in a brooder? Will the chicks die or quickly get sick or is it possible for them to appear normal up until they would go out with your other chickens?

I have two breeds I'm very interested in. Looking into them I am definitely going to have to have eggs shipped for both. Seems like a lot of risk. I also don't know if I'd want to put them together in the incubator coming from different places yet it would be much easier to not have to do two batches.

I know it can definitely be transferred to the egg by the hen. But I can't find anything on what happens after that. Do the eggs die? Will they go on to hatch? Will the chicks quickly die or could they appear normal and give it to your whole flock when they eventually go outside? I'm surprised I'm having such a hard time finding this information. It seems the most common thing you could introduce to your flock by buying fertile eggs from someone yet there's no information specific to what becomes of embryonic infections! It would be the first time I put good money into birds with the intent of selling eggs and chicks. And I love my girls. So I'm trying to think this through.

Last edited:
The Internet really doesn't say anything about this. My guess is that the bird hatches depending on the amount of infection and does infect other birds. I really don't know and I would just only buy fertile eggs from certified and professional breeders to reduce the risk of introducing it to your flock. Again, don't quote me on this. I hope this was helpful and I get that it's frustrating because you can't find a definite answer.

The Internet really doesn't say anything about this. My guess is that the bird hatches depending on the amount of infection and does infect other birds. I really don't know and I would just only buy fertile eggs from certified and professional breeders to reduce the risk of introducing it to your flock. Again, don't quote me on this. I hope this was helpful and I get that it's frustrating because you can't find a definite answer.
Yeah there aren't a lot of choices out there. And I imagine having them shipped from California to the east coast is going to give me a pretty low hatch rate.

I have one rooster and one hen swedish flower. I got them from a friend who had just started with them and that's all she could give me. But also I've seen a feather type online that I really love so I wanted to add some of those to have a little breeding flock. The isabellas have always been a dream. I think they're the most gorgeous chickens ever.

Back
Top Bottom