Myoplasmosis in eggs

Oh thank you! I knew it had to be out there but I sure couldn't find it. Some of the things I've read on here so far seems like it would be hard to hatch and raise chicks without any sign but there's so much conflicting information. We do have a university here that will test them. But they don't come out alive. That would be tough to do with expensive shipped eggs.

Oh thank you! I knew it had to be out there but I sure couldn't find it. Some of the things I've read on here so far seems like it would be hard to hatch and raise chicks without any sign but there's so much conflicting information. We do have a university here that will test them. But they don't come out alive. That would be tough to do with expensive shipped eggs.
From my understanding unless you get the eggs from an NPIP MG free certified breeder it’s a risk you take. The chicks can carry it to your flock without a single symptom. It’s slow moving and by the time you find out it’s generally already everywhere on the farm due to biosecurity contamination. Meaning from us walking in a coop and carrying it to another on our shoes and clothes. What i have read and been told is a chick can’t be tested with pcr accuracy until 4 months old and therefor you would need to keep them completely separate until such time you could test and ensure MG/MS negative. After that time could introduce to flock.

Back
Top Bottom