My turkey has been laying eggs on the sly !

Chuckfriedrice

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 11, 2012
Royal Palm Beach , Florida

Shes been laying on the sly ! What should I do ! Im not sure if shes sitting . My goats kinda destroyed the pen by rubbing on the fence . So they been free roaming for a while . I Came upon her today and she jump out of a little trech I have dug , I looked at it and there is 11 eggs . So she was sitting today but at night Shes roost on are pool or on my shed at night . If shell sit Ill let her do her thing but if shes not Ill try my hand at inccubating .Should I pen her with her eggs ? I waiting to see if she goes back over and sit on them . Any advice will be helpful .

Last edited:
She is probably collecting a clutch and when she has "enough" she will start to sit on them. If the nest is in a safe location and you leave them alone, she will continue to return to lay in the nest until it is time for her to sit. As long as you don't have temps below freezing, and the tom has access to her, they are likely fertile and viable. My turkey hen started sitting when she had around 20 eggs.

I had the same problem. Until she got to 14 eggs and now she does not leave them. My other problem was that she had un-fertile eggs and I could not find any fertile turkey eggs so I have put chicken eggs under her she excepted them right away and hoping to have chicks on the 17th of this month

maybe she is almost ready. Mine is still sitting on her chicken eggs. The only thing that she is getting so skinny we keep food and water right by her nest but she does not eat much I asked the vet and he told me to give her a bucket of corn and leave her alone so that is what are doing

Aw how cute by the way it did work I have 8 baby chickens under her and she is a mother now

She is probably collecting a clutch and when she has "enough" she will start to sit on them.  If the nest is in a safe location and you leave them alone, she will continue to return to lay in the nest until it is time for her to sit.  As long as you don't have temps below freezing, and the tom has access to her, they are likely fertile and viable.  My turkey hen started sitting when she had around 20 eggs.

If u take an egg from that nest, will they move to a different spot?

Aw how cute by the way it did work I have 8 baby chickens under her and she is a mother now

OMG! I wanna see pics of her and her little baby chickens wandering around!!! Lol

If u take an egg from that nest, will they move to a different spot?
Possibly. Last year my turkey hen made a hidden nest. I only knew she had stopped laying in the nest box in the coop like she had been doing - t took me several days to figure out where her new nest was. Once I knew, I just kept an eye on her everyday and when she left that spot, I went and collected the egg. I had to because it was accessible to the dogs and if I didn't get it, they would have. After laying 6-8 eggs there, she moved to a new place. This time the tom led me to her. He would "stand guard" nearby while she laid her egg, and all I had to do was watch where he was hanging out and I found her. I was going to leave her there, but wanted to move the nest into a dog crate so I could lock her in at night for safety. So I moved a dog crate over the spot she had been laying and carefully moved the nest and eggs into it. She never laid there again.

Back
Top Bottom