My Olive Egger Chicks Look Like Barred Rocks

Lemme

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
My latest batch of chicks is about 3 weeks old. I purchased 4 olive eggers, but they are developing plumage that looks like barred rocks.

I know olive eggers can be bred from several different breeds, so my question is can an olive egger have the physical features of a barred rock? Or was I sold mislabeled chicks. Again.

Could be barred for sure! A true barred rooster will pass barred genes to both pullets and cockerels- so a cuckoo marans or barred rock roo on an EE, Ameracauna, Legbar hen would give you olive eggs and barred chicks. In lots of cases folks use EE or Ameracauna for the blue gene, so if your chicks have pea combs you're probably in good shape!

Could be barred for sure! A true barred rooster will pass barred genes to both pullets and cockerels- so a cuckoo marans or barred rock roo on an EE, Ameracauna, Legbar hen would give you olive eggs and barred chicks. In lots of cases folks use EE or Ameracauna for the blue gene, so if your chicks have pea combs you're probably in good shape!
Thanks!

My olive egger from Meyer is barred and looks like a barred rock. He is what I believe to be half legbar, half Marans (either cuckoo or black copper). The only distinction is the legbar tuft under his comb.

Where did you get yours?
Tractor Supply. Used to have a great farm supply store that always had an amazing selection of chicks, but they sold their property to Academy. Tractor Supply sold me mislabeled chicks last year, so I was worried it had happened again.

Back
Top Bottom